[SOLVED] Laptop or Server for http web site and database ?

c512345

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
i have an 15 years old laptop that i am using to run
xampp ( http php website database) and a java program and windows 10 os
the website is only being used by max of 3-5 users self use / apps that run once a day to get data from the server and the java app that runs ever 60 sec (not heavy work)

I wanted to buy new laptop but was thinking maybe i should be buying a server but i not sure.
so should i get a server ? what are the + and - to laptop vs server
like :
cost?
up time ( am gona have to buy ups)?
os?
and all the other specs of laptop vs server ? cpu ram networking
any recommended servers ?

hope this is the right place to ask this am not really sure
thx in adv :)

Solution
There really is not clear definition of what a server is. You can get a laptop that has more cpu power and memory than many older servers.

Actual servers....think stuff that runs in a large data center....are designed for business. They have many special feature like being able to be rack mounted. Being able to replace a power supply without taking the server down. Many have what is called out of band consoles that allow you to make bios setting changes and even reinstall the OS remotely.
Most these use different CPU chips designed for running many different applications at the same time. This is where it gets very messy since you can many time run the same CPU chip in a laptop.

Since your main requirements do not seem to...
There really is not clear definition of what a server is. You can get a laptop that has more cpu power and memory than many older servers.

Actual servers....think stuff that runs in a large data center....are designed for business. They have many special feature like being able to be rack mounted. Being able to replace a power supply without taking the server down. Many have what is called out of band consoles that allow you to make bios setting changes and even reinstall the OS remotely.
Most these use different CPU chips designed for running many different applications at the same time. This is where it gets very messy since you can many time run the same CPU chip in a laptop.

Since your main requirements do not seem to need the feature a actual server has you are likely better off buying a laptop or a small desktop to use as your server. Since actual servers are designed to have a very low failure rate you can get old outdated servers that run fine for a lot less money than modern equipment. Be aware actual server is designed to run in a data center. They don't care if the fans are really loud as long as the cool better.

Solution

c512345

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
thx for the reply
i just had a phone call about it and they dont want me to look at the use right now
but what may be added to the server in the next few years
gps loc updates for workers and workers data input apps and so on
that will up the users a bit id say to around 100 and made me think maybe i should go with the server option
i just dont know how many users will start to be a problem for just a laptop and req a server ?
if i do end up going with server
do u have any recommend servers for small/mid business ?

Last edited:
Dell and HP sell many but that way to doing things is getting less common. You are likely going to be better off going with hosting services and using virtual servers. You can increase and decrease your "server" capacity on the fly and it tends to be easier to get started because the hosting company can deal with all the stuff like firewall setup and UPS and backups etc. You only need to worry about your application.

kanewolf

Titan
Dell and HP sell many but that way to doing things is getting less common. You are likely going to be better off going with hosting services and using virtual servers. You can increase and decrease your "server" capacity on the fly and it tends to be easier to get started because the hosting company can deal with all the stuff like firewall setup and UPS and backups etc. You only need to worry about your application.
Depending on your location of business, a hosting cost is an operational cost vs a capital cost. There can be tax advantages. Same with leasing hardware vs purchasing.