Question Laptop power throttling making gaming impossible

Axis192

Commendable
Jan 13, 2022
Hi all,

I am hoping you can help with this weird issue with my Gaming Laptop. The laptop has the following specs:
DELL G3 3590
Intel Core I7 9750H
GTX 1660 Ti Mobile
1x SN630 480GB SSD
1x Unknown Samsung NVME SSD
2x 8GB Dual Channel RAM (unknown brand)

Now, my issue with the laptop is that it seems to 'Power Throttle' in games, causing FPS to be lost. So for example, I will play Hitman 3; this will start and my laptop temperatures will get into the 90 range which causes the CPU to throttle back slightly (although HWInfo64 or Intel XTU do not report thermal throttling) which I completely understand for gaming laptops. However, the temperatures are then staying around the 70-80 degrees range which is fine for my CPU/GPU but the CPU is still well below what it should be in terms of speed. GPU temperature is usually 75 degrees.

So it will start the game boosting at 4GHz. However, after 10 mins of playing the laptop will be at 70 degrees but the CPU has down throttled all the way to about 1GHz which causes huge FPS drops making gaming unviable.

I checked HWInfo64 which reports that when the CPU is dropping speed, the 'CPU Power Limit Exceeded' across all cores is a 'YES'.

I have tried a few things which have not helped. The below is what I have tried so far:
1. Repasting the laptop.
2. Ensuring it is elevated on my desk during gaming and has sufficient cooling.
3. Cleaning all intakes/fans and ensuring these remain unobstructed.
4. Using DDU to uninstall all drivers and reinstall these.
5. Updating BIOS.
6. Disabling TurboBoost.
7. Ensuring the maximum processor state is at 100% - I have also tried alternating between 99% and 95%.
8. Using all different modes on 'Dell Power Manager'.
9. Ensuring that I am using Alienware Command Center and press 'F7' to boost - either/or still causes me to lose FPS after a short while.
10. Resetting to factory default.
11. Undervolting the GPU.

Now this laptop has no warranty. It can play games fine and I have seen on YouTube people use the same machine to game on with no issues. Therefore I am trying to figure out what the issue is with my machine which stops it from functioning as it should?

It is not just an issue with one game.

Upon searching this forum one user suggested disabling BD PROCHOT in ThrottleStop which has not worked either. It was also suggested to do a ThrottleStop log which I have done which does not give me much to go off: https://pastebin.com/K7b9jrFL

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks!