Question Laptop processor and RAM upgrade

Jul 21, 2020
Hi. I have Hp 246 g1 laptop. I currently have intel pentium @2.40 GHz processor with 2GB RAM installed on it. My question is can I upgrade my processor to intel i5 core and RAM to 8 GB. Please help.

No and maybe

Replacing the cpu on a laptop is not a thing*

As for the memory, I need the exact model of cpu to determine whether its ddr3 or ddr4.
since its 2gb, im almost certain its ddr3, but i dont know.
Also, hp is a hassle about replacing stuff in their systems. they sometimes lock their boards to work with only hp compatible memory which they sell on their own, but thats mostly in their desktops, not sure about laptops.
Best way to know is to contact them and ask if you can replace/add memory outside warrenty.

* there are like 2 super laptops with desktop processors, this is not one of them, theyre rare and cost more than my house.

Lutfij

Titan
According to the manual, here, the laptop can see an upgrade for the processor. The option for an i5 in the 3rd Gen category:
i5-3210M
For an i5 in the 2nd Gen category:
i5-2450M

Ram wise, you can drop in a 2x4GB DDR3-1333MHz ram kit rated to run at 1.5v. Please make sure that both sticks are identical if you can't source a 2x4GB ram kit. If you go for the 3rd Gen i5, you can work with a 2x4GB DDR3L-1600MHz rated to run at 1.35v ram kit. The same kit will work with a 2nd Gen i5 but the ram speed will be downclocked to DDR3-1333MHz and the voltage might be bumped up to 1.5v, that will depend on the ram kit. I would advise G.Skill's SO-DIMM kits in the DDR3 series, they can work in 1.5v scenarios and 1.35v scenario's as well.

+ please make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for the laptop prior to dropping in any hardware upgrades.

Out of curiosity, what does the Sticker on the bottom of the laptop(under the battery) show you? There's a reason why it's labelled with region on page 8, chapter 1.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020
No and maybe

Replacing the cpu on a laptop is not a thing*

As for the memory, I need the exact model of cpu to determine whether its ddr3 or ddr4.
since its 2gb, im almost certain its ddr3, but i dont know.
Also, hp is a hassle about replacing stuff in their systems. they sometimes lock their boards to work with only hp compatible memory which they sell on their own, but thats mostly in their desktops, not sure about laptops.
Best way to know is to contact them and ask if you can replace/add memory outside warrenty.

* there are like 2 super laptops with desktop processors, this is not one of them, theyre rare and cost more than my house.
My system has ddr3l 1600 MHz 2GB RAM,

According to the manual, here, the laptop can see an upgrade for the processor. The option for an i5 in the 3rd Gen category:
i5-3210M
i5-2450M

Ram wise, you can drop in a 2x4GB DDR3-1333MHz ram kit rated to run at 1.5v. Please make sure that both sticks are identical if you can't source a 2x4GB ram kit. If you go for the 3rd Gen i5, you can work with a 2x4GB DDR3L-1600MHz rated to run at 1.35v ram kit. The same kit will work with a 2nd Gen i5 but the ram speed will be downclocked to DDR3-1333MHz and the voltage might be bumped up to 1.5v, that will depend on the ram kit. I would advise G.Skill's SO-DIMM kits in the DDR3 series, they can work in 1.5v scenarios and 1.35v scenario's as well.

+ please make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for the laptop prior to dropping in any hardware upgrades.

Out of curiosity, what does the Sticker on the bottom of the laptop(under the battery) show you? There's a reason why it's labelled with region on page 8, chapter 1.
It's not swappable.
It can be equipped with different cpus from the factory.
The cpus aren't socketed, they are bga style. which is technically swappable, but, not by end users.

Reactions: Bfc_arsenal
Jul 21, 2020
i5-3210M
i5-2450M

Also from the manual I can see my laptop coming under g246 elcot. Then I wouldn’t be able to upgrade my cpu, but is there possibility for ram? My system has only one ram slot

Also from the manual I can see my laptop coming under g246 elcot. Then I wouldn’t be able to upgrade my cpu, but is there possibility for ram? My system has only one ram slot
Should be able to physically.
but as for if HP blocked non hp ram in bios level i do not know.
contacting them is the best way to know.
Tell them the model number and serial number, and they should tell you if ram swaps are possible.