Laptop putting itself to sleep.

LoveWedge

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
I have a 6 year old Toshiba, running with Windows Vista. About a week ago I turned my laptop on and the screen went to like 20% brightness, despite all the settings being at 100%. Closing and opening the lid fixes it, but only for a bit. Anywhere from 2 seconds to the next time the lid is closed.

I turned the computer on this morning and it was doing the same thing, except now it's also going into sleep mode after only a second or two.

I called Toshiba yesterday and all the person did was direct me to their website to watch a video on how to adjust the power settings. That doesn't help me because that's not the problem.

Short of bringing the thing in for repair, does anyone know what the problem could be? It isn't worth it to get repaired, but I'd like to get information, etc from it before it crashes completely.

Thanks!

Solution
Connect it to an external display and get your files off. be sure to make at least 2 copies so you have a backup copy which you should have had from the beginning. Never store important files on just 1 device because everything breaks soon or later and you need to be prepared for this eventuality.

popatim

Titan
Connect it to an external display and get your files off. be sure to make at least 2 copies so you have a backup copy which you should have had from the beginning. Never store important files on just 1 device because everything breaks soon or later and you need to be prepared for this eventuality.

Solution