Question Laptop questions ?

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Hello,

Assuming a 14 inch laptop model have 2 versions (A and B) and they are the same price
Laptop A. maximum resolution 1920x1200
Laptop B. maximum resolution 3840x2400

Q1. If laptop A and B are the same price, all the specs are the same except maximum resolution specs, which one would you choose?

Q2. I want to use a bigger screen at home, if I use an HDMI cable to connect my monitor (32 inch monitor that supports 2560x1440) to the laptop, do I see more excel rows without scrolling using laptop B, or does both laptops A and B see the same amount of rows without scrolling?

Q3. Assuming now I open an excel file in laptop A I can see 20 rows without scrolling, if I open the same excel file in laptop B I can see 40 rows without scrolling (laptop B rows look very small difficult to see in 14 inch laptop because maximum resolution 3840 x 2400), if I make a screenshot on laptop A and I make a screenshot on laptop B, can I enlarge the 20 rows of screenshot B to look as big as the 20 rows of screenshot A so I can see all 40 rows of screenshot B easily like the size of screenshot A?

Q4. I have heard that battery life is lower with higher resolution, and that maximum resolution does not matter much on a small screen like 14 inches. I'm not entirely sure about this, though. Any opinions on this?

Q5. Assuming if I am using laptop A and set it to maximum resolution 1920x1200 and I can see 20 excel rows without scrolling, if I use an HDMI cable to connect my monitor (32 inch monitor that supports 2560x1440) to the laptop can I see more or lesser rows than 20 excel rows on the monitor?

Q6. Assuming if I am using laptop B and set it to maximum resolution 3840x2400 and I can see 40 excel rows without scrolling, if I use an HDMI cable to connect my monitor (32 inch monitor that supports 2560x1440) to the laptop can I see more or lesser rows than 40 excel rows on the monitor?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello,

Assuming a 14 inch laptop model have 2 versions (A and B) and they are the same price
Laptop A. maximum resolution 1920x1200
Laptop B. maximum resolution 3840x2400

Q1. If laptop A and B are the same price, all the specs are the same except maximum resolution specs, which one would you choose?

Q2. I want to use a bigger screen at home, if I use an HDMI cable to connect my monitor (32 inch monitor that supports 2560x1440) to the laptop, do I see more excel rows without scrolling using laptop B, or does both laptops A and B see the same amount of rows without scrolling?

Q3. Assuming now I open an excel file in laptop A I can see 20 rows without scrolling, if I open the same excel file in laptop B I can see 40 rows without scrolling (laptop B rows look very small difficult to see in 14 inch laptop because maximum resolution 3840 x 2400), if I make a screenshot on laptop A and I make a screenshot on laptop B, can I enlarge the 20 rows of screenshot B to look as big as the 20 rows of screenshot A so I can see all 40 rows of screenshot B easily like the size of screenshot A?

Q4. I have heard that battery life is lower with higher resolution, and that maximum resolution does not matter much on a small screen like 14 inches. I'm not entirely sure about this, though. Any opinions on this?

Q5. Assuming if I am using laptop A and set it to maximum resolution 1920x1200 and I can see 20 excel rows without scrolling, if I use an HDMI cable to connect my monitor (32 inch monitor that supports 2560x1440) to the laptop can I see more or lesser rows than 20 excel rows on the monitor?

Q6. Assuming if I am using laptop B and set it to maximum resolution 3840x2400 and I can see 40 excel rows without scrolling, if I use an HDMI cable to connect my monitor (32 inch monitor that supports 2560x1440) to the laptop can I see more or lesser rows than 40 excel rows on the monitor?

Thank you.
Hey there,

Q1. For a 14" screen laptop, I will choose the lower resolution, since higher resolution sucks more power...lower battery life and on small screen you might no see much difference between those two resolutions.

Q2. First let's clarify that a laptop screen resolution has nothing to do with the type of external monitor support. You should check the maximum resolution supported on external displays by laptops A & B. The laptop with higher resolution will displays more rows...of course in a smaller size.

Q3. Yes, By the way, while on Excel you could just zoom in or zoom out by using the plus (+) and minus (-) on the lower right corner.

Q4, Yep, that is correct.

Q5 / Q6. If your laptop supports the external monitor resolution, you should be able to see more rows with higher resolution and less rows with lower resolution.

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Hey there,

Q1. For a 14" screen laptop, I will choose the lower resolution, since higher resolution sucks more power...lower battery life and on small screen you might no see much difference between those two resolutions.

Q2. First let's clarify that a laptop screen resolution has nothing to do with the type of external monitor support. You should check the maximum resolution supported on external displays by laptops A & B. The laptop with higher resolution will displays more rows...of course in a smaller size.

Q3. Yes, By the way, while on Excel you could just zoom in or zoom out by using the plus (+) and minus (-) on the lower right corner.

Q4, Yep, that is correct.

Q5 / Q6. If your laptop supports the external monitor resolution, you should be able to see more rows with higher resolution and less rows with lower resolution.
How to check if my laptop ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" supports what external monitor resolution?

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
We have that unit at work and it does support 4K (60Hz) over HDMI and 5K (60Hz) over Thunderbolt.
Check your specific unit specification to be sure.
What is your laptop max resolution, 14" WUXGA (1920x1200) or 14" WQUXGA (3840x2400)?

How many hours does your battery last?

ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" has 2 different max resolution models 14" WUXGA (1920x1200) and 14" WQUXGA (3840x2400) does both models support 4K (60Hz) over HDMI and 5K (60Hz) over Thunderbolt.?

Can you teach me how to see (what exact specs to look for) if the laptop supports an external 2560x1440 and 4K monitor?

I do not know what specs to look at the specifications
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpadx1/22tp2x1x1y6/22tp2x1x1y6
https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_X1_Yoga_Gen_6

Thanks

Last edited:
What is your laptop max resolution, 14" WUXGA (1920x1200) or 14" WQUXGA (3840x2400)?

How many hours does your battery last?

ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" has 2 different max resolution models 14" WUXGA (1920x1200) and 14" WQUXGA (3840x2400) does both models support 4K (60Hz) over HDMI and 5K (60Hz) over Thunderbolt.?

Can you teach me how to see (what exact specs to look for) if the laptop supports an external 2560x1440 and 4K monitor?

I do not know what specs to look at the specifications
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpadx1/22tp2x1x1y6/22tp2x1x1y6
https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_X1_Yoga_Gen_6

Thanks
1920 x 1200 IPS anti-glare touchscreen with the Intel Core i7-1165G7 and 16GB of RAM.
When new, the laptops used to last eight hours with screen brightness at 50% and light to medium workload.
A Core i5 should last a bit longer, but it all depends on the workload and power settings you select.

Yes, according to the PDF on the link, they both support 4K (60Hz) over HDMI and 5K (60Hz) over Thunderbolt.?

Reactions: smalltech
I've already explained this. For the external monitor, its about the GPU in the laptop. In this case it's Intel Iris XE iGPU. This GPU can support up to 4096x2304 @60hz resolution.

This does not mean it can play games at that resolution. Only that for desktop use the iGPU can output 4096x2304.

Hope this cleares it up for you.

Reactions: smalltech

TRENDING THREADS