Question Laptop Ram Code Confuses Me

Nov 24, 2022
Greetings everyone! This has possibly been asked before, but I'm not too sure how to search for it.

I have a fairly old laptop, a Toshiba c850-f32z. It currently has 4gb of RAM. I can get an extra 4gb stick for really cheap so I'm interested in doing so, but I'm not 100% sure if this would work. Current RAM is Samsung 4gb DDR3-1600. The one I could get is also Samsung 4gb DDR3-1600, however they have different item model numbers. Current one is M471B5273DH0-CK0, 'new' one would be M471B5173DB0-YK0. I have a decent amount of experience with PCs, but have usually gotten exact matching RAM at the same time so am not sure if these number differences are major or inconsequential.

Is this something to be concerned about? Would these item codes make a difference for compatibility? The RAM is cheap, so might a better option be to get two of the new ones and discard the old? Anything else I should be looking out for when it comes to RAM compatibility?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Anything else I should be looking out for when it comes to RAM compatibility?

Topic to read that answers all your RAM questions + then some,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

The RAM is cheap, so might a better option be to get two of the new ones and discard the old?

This is the best option. However, many laptops have the initial RAM soldered to MoBo and can't be replaced, while having 1 or 2 RAM slots free for expandability.
So, unless you know for a fact that you can pull the old RAM out and you can have 2 RAM slots free, don't buy the set of 2x RAM sticks. Make sure 1st that you can take the old one out.

Greetings everyone! This has possibly been asked before, but I'm not too sure how to search for it.

I have a fairly old laptop, a Toshiba c850-f32z. It currently has 4gb of RAM. I can get an extra 4gb stick for really cheap so I'm interested in doing so, but I'm not 100% sure if this would work. Current RAM is Samsung 4gb DDR3-1600. The one I could get is also Samsung 4gb DDR3-1600, however they have different item model numbers. Current one is M471B5273DH0-CK0, 'new' one would be M471B5173DB0-YK0. I have a decent amount of experience with PCs, but have usually gotten exact matching RAM at the same time so am not sure if these number differences are major or inconsequential.

Is this something to be concerned about? Would these item codes make a difference for compatibility? The RAM is cheap, so might a better option be to get two of the new ones and discard the old? Anything else I should be looking out for when it comes to RAM compatibility?
If it's really cheap try it.

The worst that happens is it does not work and then you go shopping for a 2x kit.