Question Laptop randomly shuts off ?

Jun 20, 2024
Laptop model: Asus A407U

My friend asked me to fix his laptop that shuts off a few minutes after Windows starts.
He said the laptop fan stays on 100% speed from turning it on until it enters Windows, no warning from bios or Windows about overheat whatsoever.

What I think it's still overheating, because he said, he never bring this laptop to a service shop for cleaning or replace the thermal paste in the past 3 year. So I began to open up the laptop and yes the vents clogged up and the thermal paste already dry, then I proceed to clean the vents and replace the thermal paste, but to no avail.

Then I check the battery, still able to hold charge, because after each shut off the battery remain on the same level as before. I noticed a pin for the battery bend a bit, I carefully straighten it, and the problem still there. Then I tried enter to bios, to check does it still shut off or not. At first the bios showed the temps for the CPU,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ImDYjK-4DRvMySBwJ5fqYGQHaJNELH9t/view?usp=sharing

later the temps show 0 degrees, and not long after that it shut off.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hzVcpt0F_K9-YZWDUwe0yBUS4wkhNEto/view?usp=sharing

Does this mean it's related to bios or driver, or even hardware? but if it needs to update the bios, isn't it going to be risky because it keeps shut off randomly?
I've checked the power button for sticky keys and cleaned it but still like that, and try this the laptop still keep shut off. Any suggestion are welcome, thank you.

Jun 20, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcoemr!

Does the laptop shut off when you power it up using only the power brick and the battery is disconnected?
Thank you!

The laptop turned on, but nothing showed up on the screen. The HDD indicator and Battery indicator light turned on, fan still go 100% but nothing appear on the screen.
When I put the battery back in, it doesn't want to turn on, the battery indicator light blinking twice in a short interval, like *blink**blink* ... *blink**blink*... and so on. I unplugged everything, press the power button for couple second and screw everything back. After that it turned on, but it still shut off a couple minute after enter windows.

Latest posts