Laptop recommendation for grandma - Big screen, entry level components

Big Swifty

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
My elderly mother is looking to downsize some things in her life such as furniture, which means the entry level 2009 iMac has to go and be replaced by a laptop.

She only uses her computer to store photos (currently using about 15% of a 250G HD), the occasional Word doc, Quicken, and internet access.

Since she's older and not anything close to a power user she'd rather stick with Apple so as not to need to learn anything new. She's also looking for a larger screen and new, not used or refurbished.

The entry level 16" MacBook Pro is more power than she'll ever need, but the 13" entry level Airbook or MBPro has too small a screen. Unfortunately Apple's product line doesn't have a large screen/basic components option.

Instead of spending $2200 for the MBP 16" I'm looking for Windows options (with the thought that I can convince her the one time move to Windows is fairly painless - I did it) that have the larger screen but the less expensive components. Even the most basic components is better than her 11 year old iMac .

I built my Windows desktop, but the world of laptops is enormous and I don't know much of anything about the numerous brands and models.

Any suggestions for a larger screened laptop, with a good quality build, decent screen (not dim or dull), with more entry level components, and a built in camera for Zoom/Skype? The equivalent of an entry-level Airbook with a larger screen. Don't need the absolute least expensive, but if price starts getting up higher than $1400-1500 might as well spend the extra and get the Apple.

Last edited:

Big Swifty

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
Thanks for the suggestion, but as mentioned, she's not interested in used or refurbished. If I could go back in a time machine and pick up a new 17" from back then I'm sure it'd be fine, but she doesn't want to deal with potential problems from buying used.

Came across this while looking around:

Asus VivoBook S15 (S533) for only $700.

Big Swifty

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
Thanks again. I'm going to run this by my mom and let her make the ultimate decision since it's her money. Still open to other suggestions.

My elderly mother is looking to downsize some things in her life such as furniture, which means the entry level 2009 iMac has to go and be replaced by a laptop.

She only uses her computer to store photos (currently using about 15% of a 250G HD), the occasional Word doc, Quicken, and internet access.

Since she's older and not anything close to a power user she'd rather stick with Apple so as not to need to learn anything new. She's also looking for a larger screen and new, not used or refurbished.

The entry level 16" MacBook Pro is more power than she'll ever need, but the 13" entry level Airbook or MBPro has too small a screen. Unfortunately Apple's product line doesn't have a large screen/basic components option.

Instead of spending $2200 for the MBP 16" I'm looking for Windows options (with the thought that I can convince her the one time move to Windows is fairly painless - I did it) that have the larger screen but the less expensive components. Even the most basic components is better than her 11 year old iMac .

I built my Windows desktop, but the world of laptops is enormous and I don't know much of anything about the numerous brands and models.

Any suggestions for a larger screened laptop, with a good quality build, decent screen (not dim or dull), with more entry level components, and a built in camera for Zoom/Skype? The equivalent of an entry-level Airbook with a larger screen. Don't need the absolute least expensive, but if price starts getting up higher than $1400-1500 might as well spend the extra and get the Apple.
Why not an iPad? Screen doesn’t need to be as big then because the OS icons are a lot bigger.

Big Swifty

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
Good suggestions, iPad. She already has one. Something I should ask to see if that iPad will take care of everything. Maybe with a Magic Pad keyboard.