[SOLVED] Laptop running hot after Windows update

Jul 25, 2020
My new hp omen 15 used to idle at around 40c-50c while plugged in and plugged out. After updating windows, the gpu consistently runs at 55c when plugged in, and the cpu stays at around the same temp too. When I plug the laptop out, though, it goes back to 40c-45c. Temps in games are normal, only the idle temps have been affected. the moment I plug it in, the gpu temperature shoots to 55c and the cpu temperature gradually rises too. this has only started happening after i updated windows. cpu and gpu usage are normal
processor: i5 8300h
gpu: gtx 1060 3gb
I'd appreciate any help!

Reactions: sridhars
Solution
Performed a clean install of drivers from GeForce Experiance.
Tried to change drivers to studio version, situation worsens. Temperatures hovering at 50 on battery and 80 when plugged in. I also run ubuntu, temperatures are low, around 40C under normal usage.

The idle temperatures are the same as the ones during chrome, about 60C on the Game Ready drivers.

Lutfij

Titan
Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop. I'd ask you to try and reinstall your GPU drivers. In order to do so, use DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers, then use the latest found off of Nvidia's support site to manually install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Jul 25, 2020
Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop. I'd ask you to try and reinstall your GPU drivers. In order to do so, use DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers, then use the latest found off of Nvidia's support site to manually install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
i reinstalled the drivers and the problem still exists ;(

Jul 25, 2020
I would suggest a quick double check of your power plan options and see if something changed.
Sounds a lot like it went to "performance" setting while plugged in.
there's only one powerplan (hp recommended thing) i can't find anything on the web about my problem and at this point i feel really helpless and desperate, lol. please give any possible solutions u have

sridhars

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2014
I would suggest a quick double check of your power plan options and see if something changed.
Sounds a lot like it went to "performance" setting while plugged in.
Same Problem I had, I have played with the Battery settings, run the battery troubleshooter. I also have an HP, Pavilion gaming 15. The problem is much more noticable with chrome, other apps that I use or games are already pretty heavy on the CPU. Also after the update, Windows Security just shows a blank window with no options.

I have chosen Intel instead of Auto Select in Nvidia Control Panel, turned off Hardware Acceleration from chrome settings, no use.

sridhars

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2014
Performed a clean install of drivers from GeForce Experiance.
Tried to change drivers to studio version, situation worsens. Temperatures hovering at 50 on battery and 80 when plugged in. I also run ubuntu, temperatures are low, around 40C under normal usage.

The idle temperatures are the same as the ones during chrome, about 60C on the Game Ready drivers.

Last edited:
Solution