[SOLVED] Laptop Screen Flickering Like A Strobe Light Effect When Changing Brightness. Any Solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2021
Hi guys! I own a Overpowered Gaming Laptop 17+ OP-LP3 GK7CN6S and just today my screen started to flicker (like a strobe light effect) at any brightness above 11%. Anything below 11% is fine. Apologies that the attachment is of not so good quality but at least you can have an idea what's going on. Please is anyone is familiar with this issue? Any solutions? Thanks!

Link to: Video

Solution
There no Walmart in UK, except its partnership or child company, ASDA which was sold just about a year ago. But I know that I would definately not buy a office laptop from the place, let alone an 'gaming' laptop. The place is good for household foods and goods, not for computers.
the problem is there are people who will buy pc from places that have no right selling them. These walmart laptops are relabelled laptops made with cheap parts to make as much profit as possible. You can't fault them when you have "respectable" OEM like Alienware doing this

So who do you trust for laptop? I don't know but its not Walmart or any shop you can buy anything other than PC parts in.

WE don't have Walmart in Australia...
Jul 12, 2021
Laptop screen started to flicker (like a strobe light effect) at any brightness above 11%. The higher the brightness the higher the effect! Anything below 12% and it completely stops. When booting up or going into bios the same thing is happening! Please look at the video below and guide me further. Thank you!

Link to Video

Note: If you require anymore details let me know in the comments! Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021
Finally, someone with some humanity came forward! I appreciate it Sir! Anyhow, laptop is over 2 years old! I purchased it off of ebay in March 2019 and the seller (seller rating was 100%) stated that it was 4 months used but was in 100% condition! The laptop reached to my place in April 2019 and ever since I've been using it for gaming and other stuff and it's still in amazing condition and performance is awesome. Though, in July 2021 this screen issue started..so yeah, there's that.

Jul 12, 2021
I agree with what Colif said. But you could also try updating or re-installing your graphic and display drivers.
The warranty has expired already! I tried the graphic and display driver method, didn't work. This thing is happening in safe mode also and in bios too! It's has something to do with backlight perhaps but not really sure though. I will go to a technician soon to get it checked.

Reactions: chaoyang
Jul 12, 2021
looks to me like he been through drivers already - https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/laptop-screen-flickering-like-a-strobe-light.283856/

you could try running ddu and remove both lots of drivers and reinstall but it is likely the screen - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/
Yes Sir have already done the DDU method & nothing so far worked unfortunately. Most likely seems like a screen issue. Also, some guy posted similar issue to mine and the person (anotherdrew) who commented I feel like the same issue is with my screen too.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I guess these are the specs

Model: Overpowered Gaming Laptop 17+ (Model: OP-LP3) Display: 17.3-inch 144Hz FHD IPS (1920 x 1080) Processor: Intel Core i7 Processor 8750H at 2.2 Ghz (9M Cache, up to 4.10 GHz) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5) Memory: 32GB DDR4 OS: Windows 10 Home Storage: 256GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD (5400RPM)

At least it doesn't look like this one
Q0FyZ96.jpg

although thats more obviously the GPU in that case

since it happens in safe mode its obviously the screen. repair shop best choice, just replace display
not that bad a price I guess - https://www.ebay.com/itm/192910735678

Reactions: XT785
Jul 12, 2021
Do you recall any physical truma that your laptop has experience during that time? Any fiddling with the softwares and settings on the laptop?
No Sir none that I may recall! No fiddling with any software or settings for that matter. Every thing was the same as before and then one day I increased my brightness and this issue came up.

Jul 12, 2021
I guess these are the specs

Model: Overpowered Gaming Laptop 17+ (Model: OP-LP3) Display: 17.3-inch 144Hz FHD IPS (1920 x 1080) Processor: Intel Core i7 Processor 8750H at 2.2 Ghz (9M Cache, up to 4.10 GHz) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5) Memory: 32GB DDR4 OS: Windows 10 Home Storage: 256GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD (5400RPM)

At least it doesn't look like this one
Q0FyZ96.jpg

although thats more obviously the GPU in that case

since it happens in safe mode its obviously the screen. repair shop best choice, just replace display
not that bad a price I guess - https://www.ebay.com/itm/192910735678
Yes indeed those are the specs. As for the image your shared sir, it's definitely not it! More like strobing effect related with change in brightness. I agree it's a hardware issue for sure! Thanks so much sir for your kind help and taking out time. Also, thanks to chaoyang as well! Appreciate it really!

Jul 12, 2021
what refresh rate you running monitor at? wonder if you can reduce the strobe by not running at 144

I don't think what he has is flickering really. Its strobing. on/off
144Hz but already tried that. Changed to 60Hz then back..nothing worked. Trust me have done every possible <Mod Edit> that is available on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 12, 2021
what refresh rate you running monitor at? wonder if you can reduce the strobe by not running at 144

I don't think what he has is flickering really. Its strobing. on/off
Strobe can only be eliminated completely by lowering brightness to 11%. It totally stops at that brightness. Changing refresh rate does nothing. Yes, you are absolutely correct that it is not flickering but rather strobing.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
I can guess quality of parts wasn't what attracted Walmart to selling those.

There no Walmart in UK, except its partnership or child company, ASDA which was sold just about a year ago. But I know that I would definately not buy a office laptop from the place, let alone an 'gaming' laptop. The place is good for household foods and goods, not for computers.

Jul 12, 2021
Agreed but the offer was really great to miss at that time. These specs were only @$999 which was insane if you would ask me. Mind you, the laptop is still running great except for this screen issue. I've been playing days gone and no perfomace issues at all.

Jul 12, 2021
Respected Colif & chaoyang

Also, some guy posted similar issue to mine and the person (anotherdrew) who commented I feel like the same issue is with my screen too.
My sixth sense is saying that what the user anotherdrew mentioned aboud wled driver failing, it seems to be the case withmy screen also. Hopefully there is no serious issue with my laptop. I will go get it checked with a good technician in a couple of days. Repair seems like the only way now.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Agreed but the offer was really great to miss at that time. These specs were only @$999 which was insane if you would ask me. Mind you, the laptop is still running great except for this screen issue. I've been playing days gone and no perfomace issues at all.

That is a very good deal, considering that laptop specs are proportionally more expensive than same performance pc specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.