Question laptop screen flickers when plugging in earbuds

Jun 27, 2019
I've had this laptop for about a year. After installing the latest major Windows 10 update last week, my screen started flickering green when I plugged in my earbuds to the audio jack. It only does it for a split second when I'm plugging it in or unplugging it. So right now it's just a minor annoyance.

My display drivers are updated. I disabled Windows Error Reporting Service and Problem Reports And Solutions Control Panel Support. That seemed to work right away, and the flickering went away for almost a week. But it just came back today out of nowhere.

I think it might be related to my audio driver, but it's too inconsistent for me to know for sure. Since I got my laptop a year ago, I've been using the default High Definition Audio Device driver because using the updated Realtek driver makes my audio sound terrible. I haven't had any issues until this new update.

Any idea what the problem is? Is it actually related to audio driver?

This is actually a reported problem https://troubleshootwindows10.com/how-to-fix-flickering-screen-windows-10/ and appears to be incompatibility with some software; https://techdows.com/2015/08/norton-fix-tool-for-windows-10-desktop-flickering.html Have you tried another set of ear buds or plug in some headphones to see if the problem persists? Also, did you check to see if the services you disabled are still disabled? Windows has a habit of turning services back to defaults from time to time.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019
Thanks for the reply.

I don't have any of those programs installed. The services are still disabled. I tried another pair of headphones, and it still did it. And my refresh rate is as high as it will go.

My screen hasn't flickered at all today, so it's hard to test for any solutions.

But I have been having another problem, which may be related. It happens about half the time I restart my laptop or come back from sleep mode. Windows doesn't always start up with the color/gamma settings I selected in Windows built in color calibration system. Sometimes it boots up with the default settings.

I had this problem when I first got the laptop about a year ago, but it eventually just went away on its own. But after the most recent update, it's been doing it again. I found a work around, but I'd rather it just work normally like it used to.

If I go into Intel Graphics Settings Control Panel and adjust any of the sliders for color (doesn't matter which one or how much), then click cancel, Windows suddenly remembers the settings I originally chose. And this isn't the control panel I used to originally create my settings. That was with the built in Windows one.

Jun 27, 2019
The green flickering went away by itself after a while. But I just updated Windows again last night and it's back. Except now it just randomly does it instead of whenever I plug in headphones.

Is this just some defect of Windows 10 I'll always have to deal with?