Question Laptop shutting down after 20-25 minutes

Apr 18, 2023
Hi everyone,

I am new on the forums.
Before seeking further help, I thought maybe someone knows more information or could help me out.

My friend has a laptop Lenovo G580.
CPU: Celeron 1000 M
GPU: Integrated
RAM: 8 GB (he upgraded from 4 to 8)
Windows 7

He got a CPU from Amazon or so, i5 3200M. We saw it's possible to upgrade, so we installed it.
After initial run, the laptop speed was very noticeable, maybe like X3.

Although, after 20-25 minutes of running, it shuts down automatically.

Just to note some stuff:
- It doesn't overheat, we're taking care of the heat problem with external fans, + the temperature goes to around 40 something.
- I am more experienced in "Googling", so I tried MOST of the help tips in optimizing battery, removing battery, high-perfomance visuals, balanced power, high optimized power, etc, nothing worked.
- When returned to the old CPU, the laptop doesn't shut down. So we assume the CPU is the problem, although I might have 2 inquires:

1. Is the CPU faulty? (no pins are messed or anything, everything is okay and carefully done)
2. If the CPU is not problematic, maybe the laptop needs better power supply? How do you increase power supply in laptops? Probably, adapters? Sorry, don't know much about hardware stuff.

I would appreciate anyone's answers and help.

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Apr 18, 2023
But at some point we took the baterry out, only had it plugged in through the cable. I don't think it's the battery, since with the old CPU it works normally?

Firestone

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
I am not sure that there is any way to increase the power input to the laptop

if you think the new CPU could be pulling too much power then a relatively easy way to check would be to use a Kill-a-Watt which lets you see the power draw at the wall of the device plugged in

you could compare the new vs old CPU if you wanted

its possible that the laptop motherboard has compatibility issues with the new CPU

but in general I am not sure any of this is worth doing, you are better off just putting your money towards a more powerful system

Firestone

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
did you check if the laptop motherboard firmware is able to be updated? might be some newer firmware update required for the different CPU

might also need to clear the CMOS between switching CPU's too

also possible that even though its compatible on paper its just not stable in that configuration

Apr 1, 2023
What operating system is it? Windows? Have you tried installing Linux and see if it shuts down on it? I had a similar problem once with a laptop. On Windows it worked and shut down after 5-10 minutes, but on linux it worked. Then I installed Windows again and the problem was solved:frowning: I don't know how it worked, but it stopped shutting down:oops:

Reactions: nikthenoto
Apr 18, 2023
What operating system is it? Windows? Have you tried installing Linux and see if it shuts down on it? I had a similar problem once with a laptop. On Windows it worked and shut down after 5-10 minutes, but on linux it worked. Then I installed Windows again and the problem was solved:frowning: I don't know how it worked, but it stopped shutting down:oops:

I might try this. Can anyone else vouch for this experience, or had similar?

TRENDING THREADS