Laptop Slow and Freezes abruptly

Amlanrt

Honorable
Jun 14, 2015
My laptop hp pavillion series has been working very slow in software like autocad and sketchup and photoshop although i have reset my laptop recently and the major problem is that it freezes abruptly and also the sound makes a whirring sound and runs slowly when i am watching a video and freezes ,i have to shut it down from the power switch and reboot it again.

Solution
Your laptop is probably overheating, install Hwmonitor >> https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html , so you can monitor laptop internals temps while running those apps, whining is from laptop fan ramping up speed cool it down,
- You might also consider getting a laptop cooling pad: metallic with fans placed underneath your laptop, meanwhile keep your laptop slightly elevated from the table to allow better air circulation (laptop directly sitting on lap or on cloth surface would make laptop overheat more).
- Another good practice is to avoid using your laptop for intensive apps while is actively charging it's battery as the charging process generates a good amount of heat that adds up to system generated heat and further...

R0GG

Distinguished
Your laptop is probably overheating, install Hwmonitor >> https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html , so you can monitor laptop internals temps while running those apps, whining is from laptop fan ramping up speed cool it down,
- You might also consider getting a laptop cooling pad: metallic with fans placed underneath your laptop, meanwhile keep your laptop slightly elevated from the table to allow better air circulation (laptop directly sitting on lap or on cloth surface would make laptop overheat more).
- Another good practice is to avoid using your laptop for intensive apps while is actively charging it's battery as the charging process generates a good amount of heat that adds up to system generated heat and further degrades performance and shortens life expectancy of the battery (you still can use it for those tasks if plugged in but battery already fully charged)

Solution

Kissmyne

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
IF someone brought me a computer with this combinaton of symptoms first thing I would do is take an air duster can to it... When is the last time you did this?

Overall this sounds thermal related.. esp since its an HP laptop which are notorious for thermal issues in my experience.