Laptop slow at everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristianSA

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
So first of all, information about my laptop:

Model: QOSMIO X775-Q7380 (Qosmio X775-Q7380 Support | Toshiba)

Specs: (more can be found here: Toshiba Qosmio X775-Q7380 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop - Fusion X2 Finish in Red Horizon by Toshiba at Amazon.com)
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
RAM 6 GB DDR3
Memory Speed 1333 MHz
Hard Drive 640 GB SATA
Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

The problem:

I don´t have the slightest clue about what is happening!. I´ve had this computer for almost two years and recently (around a month ago) it started failing. It had windows 7 with the latest service pack and fully updated.

What happened was this, suddenly my frames on League of Legends (Lol from now on) started falling:50-57 constantly changing during the start of the match and 30-40 if it lasts too long. This made me think it was my GPU or my fan, however I noticed 2 weird things:
I could play other games with no problem (Dark Souls II, for example) and lowering the settings on LoL didn´t help at all, so i passed from playing with the highest setting with no problem to a game almost unplayable in it´s lowest settings.

Also I noticed that some specific things triggered a big fall of the FPS( my computer freezes for a while), for example when a minion dies for the first time or when a turret attacks for the first time, or after it attacks in a while. I think this part is important for a reason I will explain later.

Now off to the weird stuff, my computer also started lagging on a lot of things. If i wrote in chrome or on word, sometimes the text takes 2-3 seconds to appear (my computer freezes during that time). On excel when I selected a cell the same would happen. If I click, for example, the audio controller it will take a few seconds to appear. If I right click anything, the menu will take 2-4 seconds to appear too. It´s also slow at closing windows.

With this i noticed an specific trend too, for example the audio controller and right click menu would only take a while to appear the first time I clicked it. If I kept trying it would appear instantly. (It will get slow again if I try after some time). Also if I right click anything with another menu (let´s say an icon instead of my desktop) it will take 2-3 seconds to appear too. After that i could right click both and none of them would be slow ( until some time passes). This reminds me of what happens in LoL.

So, what I did was I tried to update both my graphic drives (intel and nvidia) with the latest drivers from toshiba´s page, and it did nothing.

I decided to format my computer yesterday as I couldn´t do it before because of college. Now I have Windows 8 and the problem persists. I´ve even updated the bios driver to no result, seeing it was causing some problems with games to a lot of people.

I have also noticed that when my laptop freezes on LoL (using windows 8 task bar) the HDD performance gets stuck at 100% while my pc is frozen.

To summarize:

Problems:

-Computer is slow at some games, no problem with other ones. Some specific things make my screen freeze for a while.

-It´s also slow while doing a lot of things but only some times, mostly the first time I do a specific thing in a while. (Typing, right clicking, etc)

What I´ve tried:

-Updating both of my video drivers.

-Formating my laptop and installing windows 8.

-Installing the latest drivers (sound, video, bios) on Windows 8.

-Checking for viruses, spyware and malware (both before and after formating).

-Checking my HDD with checkdisk and seatools for windows, it has passed all the tests.

Please I really have no idea what this could be, help me?

ChristianSA

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014

The temperature is fine, and according to windows´ checkdisk and seatools my HDD is ok (I suspected that it was my hard drive too).

Yes I have, Toshiba´s driver performance is better. I have really tried almost everything ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.