Laptop sound gone since July

krad25

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
I've had sound issues with my HP notebook SB655 since early july and I've done everything I can think of to fix it. Here is what happens and what I have tried.

When I shut down the laptop and re-open it, sound is gone, the icon has a red X on it and it Playback devices, my realtek audio driver gets replaced by a generic HD audio one. I do a system restore and then the sound comes back on with realtek playback device. But as soon as I shut down/reboot the computer, sound is gone again (even with windows update disabled/internet turned off). I downloaded the realtek drivers manually from HP, it gives me an error when I try to install (Failed to install, error -0001 or something like that). When I used the realtek drivers from the realtek website, it installs correctly, sound works but as soon as I reboot, sound stops working again and does the same thing, only the sound icon doesn't have an X on it and it shows as if it's playing but there's no sound coming out of the laptop speakers. Also went in services.msc to stop/restart Windows Audio but doesn't do anything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks for your help guys.