Laptop SSD Swap

Solution
I know that setting up a system from scratch could be a really annoying process, but in this case this is your best case scenario, at least as far as installed programs/apps and OS go. If you have your personal data on a separate partition you can at least go without reformatting that partition, although by making a backup it would still take some more time.
Hi moncool17.

Well, if the laptops are the same models, or at least have pretty similar motherboard models and the same BIOS versions and configurations, you might get away with it and be able to do the swap. However, in most cases you won't be able to use an SSD with an OS installed on one computer, with a different computer. You'd probably have issues booting to Windows.
If those SSD's are going to be connected as secondary storage drives, you should be able to use them with whichever computer you'd like, but I'm guessing that this is not the case here.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

moncool17

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016

Thanks for the reply. Is it important to note that I've swapped SSD's between these laptops before? The one laptop worked fine but the other I had to flash the bios and format the drive

Yup, it's a bit of a gamble in these cases. Basically even if you boot to Windows and everything seems fine, you might have a ton of problems because drivers - components mismatch. Just don't forget to backup you important data (from both drives), so that you don't lose anything if something messes up.

Please keep me posted.

moncool17

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016

Sure thing, but while I have you can I ask for some advice as to swapping these hard drives? I don't want to format them, that'd be tedious

I know that setting up a system from scratch could be a really annoying process, but in this case this is your best case scenario, at least as far as installed programs/apps and OS go. If you have your personal data on a separate partition you can at least go without reformatting that partition, although by making a backup it would still take some more time.

Solution