laptop start menu and Notifications not responding to mouse pad

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
I have an Hp Compaq 6730b Business Notebook. It has been upgraded from Windows 7 Home premium, to Windows 10 home ed.(lastaugust),and just recently,microsoft upgraded it again to current edition of Windows 10.Home Edition.
today, I turned it on, and noted that the Notifications icon won't respond when I click on it with the mouse pad, and neither will the start button(it turns from white to blue).
I ran the command prompt to have the system scanned, and the result was No integrity violations were found.so far, I have been able to shut it down only by right clicking the start icon and selecting shutdown.
But when I turn it on again, the problems noted above still present. I c..an shut it down by removing the battery, wait a couple minutes and then restart it. I am at a loss as to what is causing this,and what to do to resolve it.
I couldn't find anyone with same problem at the Microsoft Windows 10 forums.
Please help.

Solution
I believe I may have solved the problem with the Start and Notifications buttons. I went into Device manager, and first uninstalled the keyboard driver, clicked ok. then clicked on PC name, selected Scan for hardware changes. then I uninstalled input devices,clicked ok on warning,then restarted the computer. Both buttons are working now but don't know if this is permanent fix or not.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
what is weird is that he mousepad works for everything else. it it is just the start icon in left corner of task bar and the notifications icon in right corner of the taskbar that don't respond to the mousepad. itried an external mouse,and still no response from these two icons.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
I believe I may have solved the problem with the Start and Notifications buttons. I went into Device manager, and first uninstalled the keyboard driver, clicked ok. then clicked on PC name, selected Scan for hardware changes. then I uninstalled input devices,clicked ok on warning,then restarted the computer. Both buttons are working now but don't know if this is permanent fix or not.

Solution