Laptop still very sluggish after installing new Hard drive

questionslol

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
Hey friends,

A few months back, my girlfriend had an incident where she accidentally spilled coffee onto/into her laptop. After some serious work, i was able to get it back into running condition, albeit slowly. Eventually, i noticed just how slow her system was running, and noticed the infamous "click" coming from her hard drive. So i replaced it, ran a fresh install of windows and foun that its speed had picked up again. However, after a week or so, it was back to its previous operating condition and was slow as fudge.

I've checked her ram and CPU utilization during her normal tasks, and both seem to be within normal, reasonable percentages, although i feel she could afford to upgrade to 8 gb of ram as opposed to her current 4. Her temps seem high to me, often running in the 60-68 C range under normal usage, though i know laptops typically run warmer. It also sounds like a friggin' vacuum upon starting up, even though it's free of dust in its vents.

I guess my question at this point is, is it worth it to keep replacing things on it, such as ram, hard drive, etc, or can i assume that this thing is toast since the mishap? Reason i ask is because the microcenter near me has some really nice prices on things i can replace for it, and i figure that if i can fix the sluggishness for a year or so, we wont have to drop a rather disappointing sum of money on a new laptop.

Any help is welcomed. Thanks!

Solution
68C is far too high.

If the RAM utilization is low, then there is no point upgrading.

I would suggest replacing the whole system. If you've already done the HDD then there isn't much else you can do.

Mattios

Honorable
68C is far too high.

If the RAM utilization is low, then there is no point upgrading.

I would suggest replacing the whole system. If you've already done the HDD then there isn't much else you can do.

Solution

questionslol

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

Yeah, that's what i thought. I was just hoping there was something else I could do, even though it was miraculous enough that it even worked after the spill. Thanks for the insight.