Question Laptop sudden black screen when trying to turn off (wouldn't turn off) now it won't start anymore ?

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite C55t-C5300

so basically what happened is that I had my laptop on overnight , came back to it and tried to close a game that I had left on it. this game can barely run since the laptop is like 6gb ram but I can still play it. While trying to close the game, i accidentally opened like 20 tabs or something in my browser... obviously the laptop cant handle that since it has low ram (and game running at same time), and I was unable to close the game because the track pad seemed to become unresponsive and alt+f4 doesnt work since the laptop has the F keys bound to different types of [removed by moderator].

I decided i would just power it off manually by holding the power button. however when I did that, the screen then went black and the power button was still lit. Even holding the power button for like 20 seconds or something it still wouldn't turn off. So then I manually removed the battery so it'd turn off, and tried to turn it on again. The power button comes on but the screen is still black. Im also sure that the computer is not starting up because "teamviewer" starts when windows loads up so i can take remote control of it. (and it hasnt been showing up)
what did i do? I've tried leaving the computer off with no power for hours and trying to turn it on without a battery,etc but its just a black screen showing with the power light on.

I managed to get it to turn on one time without the battery connected, but after shutting down and reconnecting the battery it went back to the black screen... ??

Edit: After trying everything, I found out the problem was the CPU. Whether it was getting too hot or something else, I reseated the laptops heatsink with new thermal paste and it works again.

Last edited:

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
remove the HDD and try powering on without it
Whats the reasoning behind this? if the HDD was the problem it should still go to bios at least right?
I tried it anyways but it didnt work.
The prior HDD had damaged and stopped working so i replaced it with a SDD a few days ago. I was able to reinstall windows and such before it stopped working.

Edit: Ive also tried removing both ram pieces, and trying them 1 by 1 in each slot but that also didnt work.

Last edited:

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
if the BIOS tries to detect the hardware, it can go into a freeze state where nothing works

try resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery, press power button for 20 seconds and place it back
if the BIOS tries to detect the hardware, it can go into a freeze state where nothing works

try resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery, press power button for 20 seconds and place it back
Oh well I tried this and it didnt work as well. when i hold the power button for 20 sec after removing cmos it just turns back off automatically

Last edited: