Question Laptop suddenly running games worse than usual.

May 29, 2023
There are quite a few posts similar to this, but I cannot seem to find a fix. I have an Asus Nitro 5 laptop (AN515-57 to be specific) , it runs games on high graphics pretty well, or at least used to. After buying it, I could run War Thunder on maximum graphics and get 100-120 fps average but now, I barely get 30. This applies to the other games I own and I'm sure it happened sometime today. I shut off my laptop like usual and went to school but after coming back, it started to feel like a 7 year old computer, note, its not even 1 year old. I've noticed that whenever I run a game my GPU and sometimes CPU maxes out to 100%. I'm no expert with laptop tech and stuff so I thought upgrading graphic drivers might help, but I'm not sure if there's a difference. I don't use apps that run in the background and take up a lot of space on the GPU or CPU except wallpaper engine, I'm not sure if there's a fix to this, but if there is, please let me know.

CPU : 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400H @ 2.70GHz 2.69 GHz
RAM : 16.0 GB
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU

(Unrelated to this issue, but I've also had an issue with my mouse malfunctioning, my mouse works fine but sometimes just disconnects out of nowhere without making the usb disconnecting sound, it has rgb and it stays on, haven't had an issue with other mouses, is it time to switch or yet some sort of driver issue?)

Is your Laptop overheating by any chance ? Like a GPU/CPU thermal throttling of some sort ? Btw, only install/update any drivers/firmware or BIOS from ASUS Laptop's support page of your model, and not from somewhere else.

Might be a good idea to first first monitor and check the Temp values. A clean re-install of the OS wouldn't hurt either.

There are quite a few posts similar to this, but I cannot seem to find a fix. I have an Asus Nitro 5 laptop (AN515-57 to be specific) , it runs games on high graphics pretty well, or at least used to. After buying it, I could run War Thunder on maximum graphics and get 100-120 fps average but now, I barely get 30. This applies to the other games I own and I'm sure it happened sometime today. I shut off my laptop like usual and went to school but after coming back, it started to feel like a 7 year old computer, note, its not even 1 year old. I've noticed that whenever I run a game my GPU and sometimes CPU maxes out to 100%...
A lot of the time this is down to the laptop having been switched into low-power/power-saving mode, where it dials back its clock speeds to save power.

According to the manual, the "dedicated NitroSense key" (looks like a funky N, I think?) brings up the Nitrosense UI where you can check the Power Plan being used. If that's not the problem, also check the power settings in Windows and in the BIOS.