Question Laptop throttles when placed on a laptop stand ?

ZKRT

Prominent
Aug 8, 2021
Model: Asus ROG Strix SCAR- III G531GV
Specs: i7-9750H, RTX2060, 16GB RAM
Product Page

Hello everyone. My laptop throttles when I game on it after placing it on a laptop stand (Stand Link). I have similar issues as mentioned in a similar thread here. But unlike that case, the reason for my throttling is not because of temperatures as the temperatures are lower while using the laptop on the stand compared to using it on a table without any space between the laptop and the table. What exactly happens is after gaming for about 10-15 minutes, the GPU power starts to immediately go down from 90W to 47W and then jumps back up to 90W after 8-10 seconds. This only happens to the GPU power and I have not seen such spikes for CPU power. Surprisingly CPU power when placing the laptop on the stand increases from 30W (when playing on the table) to 45-48W and then it remains between 28-48W during the session. This whole spike keeps happening at an interval of approx. 2-3 minutes as long as I am playing a game. Now, this makes my game go from 60FPS to 15-18FPS and then back up to 60FPS every 2-3 minutes.
I thought that this happens because of my old thermal paste but even after repasting the problem is not solved.

I have attached the HWiNFO64 logs when playing NFS Heat locked at 60FPS for 50 minutes on both with and without the laptop stand for reference. (Google Drive Link)

Without Laptop Stand
With Laptop Stand

I found out about the GPU and CPU power and performance issues from these logs using Generic Log Viewer.

I would be really grateful if anyone could look at the logs and tell me what exactly is the issue because of which such weird throttling is happening.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check and see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing? You could've used HWMonitor and parse a screenshot of what you see to show your temps and voltages. What version of Windows 10 are you on at the time of writing?

Considering you're on an Intel based laptop, you could try your hand at ThrottleStop. The laptop stand is fine as is but it 's a better idea to have the laptop on a flat surface and only having an eraser at the rear of the laptop(where the battery usually is found on older laptop models) under the laptop's hinge tends to offer enough spacing for the fans to draw in air while also having air move under the laptop.

Reactions: ZKRT

ZKRT

Prominent
Aug 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check and see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing? You could've used HWMonitor and parse a screenshot of what you see to show your temps and voltages. What version of Windows 10 are you on at the time of writing?

Considering you're on an Intel based laptop, you could try your hand at ThrottleStop. The laptop stand is fine as is but it 's a better idea to have the laptop on a flat surface and only having an eraser at the rear of the laptop(where the battery usually is found on older laptop models) under the laptop's hinge tends to offer enough spacing for the fans to draw in air while also having air move under the laptop.

BIOS Version: 306
Windows 10 Version: 21H1 (19043.1110)

I am currently using ThrottleStop to undervolt the laptop and limit the PROCHOT temp to 90° C.

I have uploaded the screenshots for the temps and power for both CPU and GPU at the link below. (ImgBB)
Screenshots

I had used an eraser-like stand before I bought my current laptop stand (Link Here). But I used to have the exact same issue with this stand too. So I thought that there must be some issue with the stand and ordered the one mentioned in the original post but the throttling remained.