[SOLVED] Laptop underperforming

Nov 6, 2020
I have recently bought an Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop and it isn't performing as well as i think it should. I have an i7-10750h, rtx 2060 and 16gb of ddr4 2933mhz ram with a 1tb ssd.
Here's my userbenchmark run: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/35046823
Cpu usage is around 70-80% and gpu usage around 20-30% and i don't know why, temps aren't high either so i don't understand why i am getting less than 100 fps in LoL and only around 100 in Rainbow 6 Siege.
Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
All core Turbo for your CPU is 4.3ghz, which is nice for a mobile CPU. Your single core speed can go up to 5ghz.

What often happens is that even at a reduced all core speed (4.3ghz for you, compared to max single core speed, 5ghz), the heat output is still high. At 85-95c you will have varying degrees of throttling, as the CPU throttles back to reduce temps. This could be causing your issue.

Here's a look at my voltages : View: https://imgur.com/undefined

I have an undervolt, which is why my IA offset/GT offset/LLC Ring Offset are as they are. My settings are different, because I've undervolted. Normally they are at zero (0). So it's a bit odd your is +0.051. Have you used Intel XTU or Throttlestop...
Hey there,

Well, as much as userbenchmark is 'useful' its not a good tool to help diagnose issues. There are a multitude of reasons, any of those benches in userbench can give bad results. I wouldn't pay any attention to it.

I've a very similar laptop to yours. You say temps aren't high, but what are they? If you don't have an undervolt on the CPU then your gaming temps (on most gaming laptops) get pretty high. Normally in the high 80's and even up in the 90's!

My CPU is the i7 9750h. It would throttle like crazy in some games, once temps hit about 95c. When it throttles, the speed goes right back to 3.6 and sometimes, 3.2ghz. I undervolt my CPU. This reduced heat output, and allows the CPU to tick along nicely at it's all core boost (4.0ghz for my CPU). Temps are dropped by about 10-15c.

Try running HWMon/Info (with sensors) and monitor your CPU on the fly whilst doing tasks, you will be able to see if it's throttling, if it is, that could be your issue.

Nov 6, 2020
Hey there,

Well, as much as userbenchmark is 'useful' its not a good tool to help diagnose issues. There are a multitude of reasons, any of those benches in userbench can give bad results. I wouldn't pay any attention to it.

I've a very similar laptop to yours. You say temps aren't high, but what are they? If you don't have an undervolt on the CPU then your gaming temps (on most gaming laptops) get pretty high. Normally in the high 80's and even up in the 90's!

My CPU is the i7 9750h. It would throttle like crazy in some games, once temps hit about 95c. When it throttles, the speed goes right back to 3.6 and sometimes, 3.2ghz. I undervolt my CPU. This reduced heat output, and allows the CPU to tick along nicely at it's all core boost (4.0ghz for my CPU). Temps are dropped by about 10-15c.

Try running HWMon/Info (with sensors) and monitor your CPU on the fly whilst doing tasks, you will be able to see if it's throttling, if it is, that could be your issue.
Well i played a game of League with HWMon and NitroSense on to see temps, Here are some screenshots:
View: https://imgur.com/E9gD8Kt

View: https://imgur.com/BzVCcHw

In NitroSense you can see that the temps mid game didn't really go over 90, it peaked at 92 before the game started and before i cranked up the cpu fan, and both cpu and gpu usage were at around 30%, the 0% gpu usage spikes were when I alt-tabbed out of game. HWMon (screenshot made after game) shows 96 max for cpu but that was only for a brief moment and before the game(I started HWMon earlier than NitroSense). In game I was getting an avg of 105-110 fps maybe, but it dipped as low as 55 on time randomly(Settings are on very high with anti aliasing on, 1080p).
I don't understand why both cpu and gpu usages were 30% and not giving me more fps, which i would like, seeing as I have a 144Hz display. In power settings I have everything on max performance, in nvidia control panel aswell.

Temps seem about right. You can get them lower by using Intel XTU/Throttlestop to undervolt CPU. This has the benefit of the CPU hitting it's rated all core clock, more often and for longer, because the temps go way down. Also fan speeds aren't as loud.

Peculiarly though, in the voltages section of HWMon, you have a positive IA Offset of +0.051. How did that come about? Mine was at 0 before I undervolted. certainly wasn't/isn't a plus number.

Also power draw on the CPU hit 75w. That's pretty high. Even at stock my i7 stays about 60w max. Both CPU's are 45w TDP. But TDP on Intel chips doesn't mean much.

Nov 6, 2020
Temps seem about right. You can get them lower by using Intel XTU/Throttlestop to undervolt CPU. This has the benefit of the CPU hitting it's rated all core clock, more often and for longer, because the temps go way down. Also fan speeds aren't as loud.

Peculiarly though, in the voltages section of HWMon, you have a positive IA Offset of +0.051. How did that come about? Mine was at 0 before I undervolted. certainly wasn't/isn't a plus number.

Also power draw on the CPU hit 75w. That's pretty high. Even at stock my i7 stays about 60w max. Both CPU's are 45w TDP. But TDP on Intel chips doesn't mean much.
I honestly don't know how i have a positive IA Offset, I never tweaked any voltages. I also don't know exactly which is it's all core clock, but it usually stays around 4.2 Ghz.

All core Turbo for your CPU is 4.3ghz, which is nice for a mobile CPU. Your single core speed can go up to 5ghz.

What often happens is that even at a reduced all core speed (4.3ghz for you, compared to max single core speed, 5ghz), the heat output is still high. At 85-95c you will have varying degrees of throttling, as the CPU throttles back to reduce temps. This could be causing your issue.

Here's a look at my voltages : View: https://imgur.com/undefined

I have an undervolt, which is why my IA offset/GT offset/LLC Ring Offset are as they are. My settings are different, because I've undervolted. Normally they are at zero (0). So it's a bit odd your is +0.051. Have you used Intel XTU or Throttlestop before?

It might be worth looking at this for reduced temps, and better performance (in most cases) :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze8dN1UyAGQ&ab_channel=Meanpooh

By following this guide, you may be surprised by the results. If you want to try something like that, PM me, and we can go through a few bits, which might help your situation.

Solution