Question Laptop Very Slow - Chrome Lagging and Slow?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Using an old dell xps 9550 laptop for many years. Windows Ten Pro. Back when i bought it, it was very fast.

Dell xps 9550 old specs were

i5-6300hq
8 gb ram
256gb 2.5 inch ssd
32 gb nvme that was barely or never used

Used it for many years and very fast. Have tons of chrome tabs opened and could play many youtube videos with no issue. Main purpose is to use it for online poker as that is what i do with it. Recall it was very fast and could play youtube on it while playing with almost no lag.

Years later, had to get a new ssd because almost out of space. Ended up upgrading ram, put in a big nvme ssd and remove the old two ssds in it. Also upgraded to bigger new battery.

i5-6300hq
32gb ram
TB nvme ssd

Noticed it was bit faster but it was already okay. Figure i upgrade ram since that is good idea.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Later on, i believe my laptop might have a virus due to me clicking on a link and windows defender finding some threats. But i believe it was false positive since that program that showed was a program i had installed a long time ago. Ended up buying kaspersky total because i was concerned. Showed no threats or virus or malware when i scanned it. But i ended up doing a clean reinstall anyway because i was worried. Kaspersky total or any top AV could never find one hundred percent a machine is free of malware/keylogger etc right? So because of that, did clean reinstall.

After i did this, was huge hassle because i had to download wifi drivers on another pc and put in usb stick and plug it into this laptop because wifi didn't show up on it. After that, went and downloaded kaspersky total again and many of the programs i normally use. So i had to redownload ton of programs because i ddn't do a backup image. Felt not good idea since if it had malware, then not good to do that anymore and just clean reinstall and wipe laptop.

What i do notice now though is my laptop seem to lag a lot when i have ton of chrome tabs opened. is this normal? Back then, it was never the case. i literally had 50+ chrome tabs open and few of them could be youtube videos i open... but i don't play multiple youtube videos at same time though. Such that open a new youtube video, it would play fast then open another one and fast to open. Nowadays, the chrome tabs lag a lot even if i have few tabs opened. When i open a new youtube video on chrome, it lags so much... then show that youtube skip ad thing almost everytime but it lags a lot. Don't have youtube premium but it should not be like this right? Back then i had almost no lags when having 50 chrome tabs or more opened but now tons of lag when even just 0 tabs opened? And remember i did a clean reinstall so shouldn't it be very fast?

The only two conclusions i can think of is

Kaspersky Total causing these lag issues? Previously had used free windows defender and malwarebytes with no issue. But because of what happened, i bought kaspersky total since i heard its one of the best. So i had to turn off windows defender and uninstall malwarebytes. Could kaspersky be the cause of it? How could i test? Turn off kaspersky total and turn on windows defender and see if i have these same lagging issues with many tabs on chrome and open youtube videos?

Background Refresh or something like that? Do have several chrome tabs open where many of these tabs refresh a lot. So imagine you have sites opened on chrome tabs where it could be showing current stock prices going up or down in real time or sports scores in real time so it auto refresh. Could that be another reason? But how would i test this? But i know this shouldn't be the reason since i had this back then before i did clean reinstall and was using the free windows defender and malwarebytes. So is kaspersky total the culprut here? My laptop with this much ram should not be lagging. Also if i were to use mozilla firefox, its much worst than chrome.