[SOLVED] Laptop won’t boot up with cloned SSD

Jun 9, 2020
I need some help myself. I’ve tried everything. I have a dell inspiron 15 5570 laptop. I decided to replace the RAM and the HDD. I bought a crucial 1TB SSD to use. I cloned over everything fine and that’s all good. My laptop is recognising the drive when it is plugged in through a USB. However when I take out the old HDD and replace it with the new SSD, I start up my laptop and it says no bootable devices found. I have looked Through so many videos and things trying to help but nothing is working. It cost a lot of money and I don’t want to break something. Anyone know how to help? Thank you

Solution
Try a different procedure with Macrium.

Do you have a blank flash drive around?
If so...
Create a Macrium RescueUSB.
Put the HDD in the external enclosure
Put the Crucial in the laptop.
Boot up from the Macrium Rescue USB

That will let you clone from the HDD in the external, directly to the internally connected Crucial.
And of course, check the BIOS boot options.
Jun 9, 2020
  1. What specific Crucial SSD?
  2. What tool did you use to clone? Possibly you missed the boot partition.

Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD 1000GB Is the one I’m trying to use

It was a program called Macrium Relfect. I think. I was following a YouTube video at the time so I think it’s a good one to use. And in the program both the cloned SSD and HDD look exactly the same with the same partitions and everuthing. They are both 1TB

USAFRet

Titan
Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD 1000GB Is the one I’m trying to use

It was a program called Macrium Relfect. I think. I was following a YouTube video at the time so I think it’s a good one to use. And in the program both the cloned SSD and HDD look exactly the same with the same partitions and everuthing. They are both 1TB
OK, that should have worked. That is my application of choice for this.

The system works if you put the original HDD back in? If so, try it again.

What did you use to connect the Crucial via USB?

Jun 9, 2020
OK, that should have worked. That is my application of choice for this.

The system works if you put the original HDD back in? If so, try it again.

What did you use to connect the Crucial via USB?

yes the system works with the HDD back in. I’ve tried a couple times to see and same thing happens.

I used a UGreen hard drive 2.5 enclosure
I think maybe the bios settings arnt correct or something. I can boot up off the SSD when it is plugged in through USB though. Just doesn’t have the benefits of actually having an SSD

USAFRet

Titan

If so...

That will let you clone from the HDD in the external, directly to the internally connected Crucial.

Solution
Jun 9, 2020

If so...

Oh ok. How much storage would the USB need. And when the crucial is in the machine does it need to be empty or would it be the cloned HDD?