[SOLVED] Laptop won't connect to home WiFi network

Sep 13, 2019
Hey everyone,

Seemingly out of the blue, my laptop won't connect to my home WiFi network any more. All other devices connect just fine, and a wired connection works properly too. My laptop also has no trouble connecting to other WiFi networks outside of my home, so it's only my home network which is giving me trouble.

When "connected", Windows indicates "No internet, secured". Running the Windows diagnostic tool gives me the error "wifi doesn't have a valid ip configuration". Another strange thing I noticed when logging into my router is that my laptop seems to be the only device being annotated with "static". All other devices are annotated with "DCHP".

My laptop is using an Intel AC 9560 wireless card. My router is a ASUS AX88U running the latest ASUSWRT Merlin 384.14 firmware. I've already tried the following steps:
  • Using CMD to reset the IP configuration and netsh winsock.
  • Updating my drivers to the latest version
  • Turning my router on/off
  • Changing bands on the router
  • Resetting the network adapter
  • Disabling Firewall/Anti-Virus
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Solution
Since you have Merlin FW you have good status displays. Start by doing a factory reset on the router. That should clear any stange things you might have done accidentally (like the static). Then set the SSIDs, WIFI passwords, admin password.
Check your WIFI adapter on the laptop verify that it is configured for DHCP.
If you get the failure then open a cmd.exe window and run "ipconfig.exe /all" Post the results of that command.

kanewolf

Titan
Since you have Merlin FW you have good status displays. Start by doing a factory reset on the router. That should clear any stange things you might have done accidentally (like the static). Then set the SSIDs, WIFI passwords, admin password.
If you get the failure then open a cmd.exe window and run "ipconfig.exe /all" Post the results of that command.

Reactions: YoungStarDC
Solution
Sep 13, 2019

Thanks for your reply! I actually managed to solve it before I saw your post. What I did was assigning a static IP to my laptop. It's probably not the best solution since I don't know the cause of the issue, but since I really needed a connection for work, it will have to do for now.

Once I have some free time, I'll dive deeper into it and follow your suggestions!