[SOLVED] Laptop won't turn on when SSD is connected

FPRS

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2014
Hi all,

My laptop (Geo GeoBook3X), turns on and boots fine when using the built in EMMC memory. I want to install more storage, which in this case is a m.2 SSD. I emailed Geo and they said to use a SATA 2280 m.2 SSD. I bought a Western Digital WDS500G2B0B WD Blue; and when I try to turn my laptop on with the SSD installed the charging indicator led turns off and there is a ticking noise that comes from the laptop. The laptop doesn't turn on at all. I confirmed that the laptop still turns on and boots fine when the SSD is disconnected.

How do I solve this issue?

Thanks.

Solution
Measure the resistance of the TVS diode on the SSD. If it is shorted, then that's the problem.

If you upload a detailed photo, I can show you what to test.

FPRS

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2014
Measure the resistance of the TVS diode on the SSD. If it is shorted, then that's the problem.

If you upload a detailed photo, I can show you what to test.
What do you want a picture of? You can find images of the WD SSD online. Please let me know what you want me to show in the image.

FPRS

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2014
I measured the forward voltage of the only component I could recognize to be a diode on the SSD and it gives me a value of 0.666 volts. When I measure the resistance it reads a value of 1.7 mega ohms.