Laptop's Battery drains after shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebecca73

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
I have a Dell Inspiron 3542 laptop. I upgraded to Windows 10 on may 2016. After that, whenever I shut down my laptop, the battery starts draining. But while working, the battery standby is more than 2 and a half hours. I called Dell and they did diagnostic tests and told me that the battery life is good. I contacted Microsoft and they did troubleshooting through remote access. After that, the battery draining happens not all the time,but sometimes. I noticed one thing..I always make sure that I close all apps and programs before shutting down. Sometimes, while shutting down, a screen appears in which "This app prevents shut down" is displayed and before I could click "shutdown anyway" or cancel button, the screen goes off and the laptop shuts down. If this happens the battery starts draining after shutdown. Please help me out.

Solution
Batteries do drain naturally over time (They don't hold charge and older batteries are more susceptible to this than newer ones!), if you're worried about battery issues you can remove it when it's off just to be sure. Aside from the natural drain that'll be sure to stop your laptop using it! :)
I'd check the Power Options applet of the Control Panel to make sure it's not going into sleep mode when you want it to completely power off. Sleep mode LOOKS like it's powered off, but most everything but the screen is still powered on.

Good luck.

SirMelon

Reputable
Aug 8, 2016
Batteries do drain naturally over time (They don't hold charge and older batteries are more susceptible to this than newer ones!), if you're worried about battery issues you can remove it when it's off just to be sure. Aside from the natural drain that'll be sure to stop your laptop using it! :)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.