Question Laptop's BIOS detects only an old HDD but not a new SSD, new SSD works fine on my desktop system

Jan 7, 2021
Hello everyone, sorry for my bad English, tell me if something is not clear enough and I'll try to explain myself in a better way.
Today I bought a new SSD (Samsung EVO 860) and I installed it on my old laptop, I run the windows bootable media to install Windows but the installer always crashed saying it couldn't create a new partition on the drive (I tried to clean and manually create partitions with diskpart, but it didn't work).
Afraid the SSD was faulty I tried to install A Linux distro from my laptop onto it and the installation process worked without any problem, but when i powered up the PC it booted up directly into the BIOS and there wasn't any SSD detected by the sata port (it just said "EMPTY"). I did try some other things that I'll list now, keep in mind that at every step i tried with or without csm on, partitioned the new drive in GPT or MBR accordingly, the old HDD is partitioned in GPT and it boots through uefi, the sata configuration is set AHCI and secure boot disabled, the laptop boots fine from the old HDD
So i tried:
- Flashing a new BIOS
- Installing the new SSD on my desktop pc with all the other drives disconnected and installed windows both UEFI and LEGACY, the SSD booted up in windows fine in my desktop pc but when i inserted it in my laptop the BIOS didn't even recognized it.
- same thing as above but with linux manjaro instead of windows, same results.
- manually partitioned the new SSD for a uefi installation and run the windows installation tool from my laptop, the tool crashed every time.
- cloned the old HDD (320GB) on my new SSD (500GB) with the dd command on linux, but again the laptop didn't recognize the SSD.
- Tried my working desktop SSD (Samsung evo 860 too) with manjaro installed on my laptop but it had the same problem.

If it's of any help the laptop is an ASUS F555L with an intel i7, nvidia 820M, the original HDD was a seagate 1TB that i swapped out some years ago with an old 320GB WD (the seagate one failed), even when I replaced the seagate the WD one was the only one the bios detected from a pool of 3 others HDD.

Is there something I'm missing? What can prevent the BIOS from detecting other drives? thanks for your help!

Lutfij

Titan
Did you create you bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? If so, then the installation should go along without a hitch. You should keep in mind that your pen drive is at least 8GB in size, 16GB is preferred.

You can't expect the SSD to work on another platform in spite of being able to install the OS onto it on another platform, the chipset drivers will not be the same.

Which BIOS version are you on at the moment for your laptop?

Reactions: Alba297
Jan 7, 2021
Did you create you bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? If so, then the installation should go along without a hitch. You should keep in mind that your pen drive is at least 8GB in size, 16GB is preferred.

You can't expect the SSD to work on another platform in spite of being able to install the OS onto it on another platform, the chipset drivers will not be the same.

Which BIOS version are you on at the moment for your laptop?

Yes I did and both the sticks I used are 16GB, the installation crashes with differents errors, the most common one is "unable to create or find partition on the drive".

The bios version is X555LDAS.404