Laptop's CPU overheating while doing ANYTHING

May 29, 2018
Lately my CPU temperature rises to over 90 degrees just by browsing the web or even just opening my computer. I've opened the laptop and cleaned it, reinstalled every driver possible and ran a malaware scan and antivirus scan, so I have no idea what else should it be...

Also when I am gaming with it, the temperature of Nvidia rises to 92 and the CPU got itself to 102 which shouldn't be normal.

Processor: Intel i7-6700HQ @2.60GHZ

This is the screenshot: https://imgur.com/B5Yk7YK

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
If you check the processes, is there one that's maxing the cpu while doing simple things? Other than the cpu cooler not being seated correctly, or the TIM being old, there's no real reason you should be spiking temps while web browsing.

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Could be a process that is running that would be really bad news, virus? TIM is that a typos? Do you mean TPM... never seen that before. Doubful and typically that can be turned off in the BIOS. I would suspect bad hardware of cooler.

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
A trojan or virus can start a rogue process, but a legitimate process could also glitch and spike the CPU. TIM means thermal interface material, if the laptop is older, the thermal paste might be getting old, so removing the integrated cooler, cleaning off the original material, and adding new thermal paste, should drop temps a bit.

May 29, 2018
I've got this laptop for like 1 year, usually I only use them for 2 years and after that I sell them and buy a new one, It might be the thermal paste because for like 1 months it's been doing this and from the high temps it might of worn the paste off.

I have two options now: open it and see if it's the thermal paste or reinstall the windows (got the important stuff on a hard drive)
Which of these 2 should I do first.

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
I'd look into replacing the thermal paste first, but I'd also keep an eye on the task manager when I was doing things, just to see if I saw a process I didn't recognize, then I'd google it for some more info. That might help narrow it down some, but new thermal paste, if it's good stuff, is a guarantee to drop the temps some.

May 29, 2018
I've reinstalled the Windows (Reseted it to be more precise) and the problem persists, it's either the windows that I've installed having some issues or the thermal paste.
About the processes, trust me, I'm checking every single bit of info in my laptop, all the IP connections that appear strange and all the services and task schedulers that seem out of place, it's not about that. When I start it and open HWMonitor the temperatures get high to 96 without doing anything, let's say it's maybe from the disk usage being 100% for like 1,2 mins ,but the CPU is at 30 max 40%.
When it idles and I'm not even touching it the temps of the CPU are 45 to 55 which is kind of high for idle. Also refreshing the screen jumps the temps to 68.

I'll open it tomorrow and take a look inside, even though I've opened it like one or two months ago, I'll get some photos of inside to ask for some tips.

May 29, 2018
I forgot to mention, from time to time from the right side of the laptop (where the cd driver is) it comes a buzzing sound like it's a disk inside and the reading arm slips from the cd (there's no cd there)

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
I think something is wrong with your cooling system. It isn't keeping up with anything you are doing for some reason. Check to see if the fan is failing first, then open it up and make sure the heat sink hasn't pulled away from the die on the mobo. Sometimes they are so far from the die that they don't even touch the pads. You could also replace the TIM and the thermal pads with higher quality stuff while you're in there. However, laptops are always hot, so don't expect it to ever be as cool as a desktop. If you can get it to stay in the low 80's while gaming then you are probably good. The goal is to stop in from throttling which happens in the 90's usually.

May 29, 2018
Fixed it. Now the CPU temps get to 96 but only for like 5 seconds and after that it goes back to normal (60-70 if the CPU is under load) and 40-45 while idle. Only time when it idels and gets the temp to like 80 is when the windows stuff starts to run like antivirus and install modules.

May 29, 2018

Well, the only solution I got now is to sell it and get a new one, nothing worked, changed paste, cleaned every single spot inside, reinstalled windows, guess it's fried or something.
I can only play games that doesn't use that much of my CPU/GPU now.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Those idle temps and temps under load are fine for a laptop, and it is obviously much better than it was. The only thing that worries me is that it is only staying at 96 for about 5 seconds before dropping. Seems to me that it is still throttling itself. One thing you could try would be to download fan control software and run it constantly at max rpm during gaming.