[SOLVED] Larger C:\Drive knowledge?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Seems it's finally time to have these larger NVMe drives for the correct pricing here in my country too.

I don't know much about this, but what crosses my mind just looking at these offers in online stores are for example say I'd replace my current 1TB 980 pro with an 2TB 980 pro.

What the hell do I do with the now still perfectly working drive? One thought came to mind that I might be able to install it in my other pc, that pc has an b250 motherboard, and I just checked it has magically one nvme slot available, what a coincidence, now the other issue: If this upgrade were to replace my C:\Drive, it's all good and well to have more space, but what the heck do I do with the data that would consume that space if I had to, or wanted to format my pc?

Currently as it stands now it's all very easy, I just move all my game data to my second nvme drive, format, reinstall windows and move the data back, So hence the problem I see forth in having even larger C:\drive than what I have now, of course I would be able to buy and install even more loved games and have them all at the ready to play, but like I said more space more problems, but then again why the heck not.

Just too bad I can't seem to have even more than two nvme drives in one pc, on a LGA 1200 motherboard?

And just too add the prices are still not really fare, but at least it isn't $540 or more for a 2TB 980 pro anymore, but more like $232!

Can't believe that it has taken this long too get there, must have been like a few years since I wanted to do an upgrade like this.

Last edited:
What the hell do I do with the now still perfectly working drive?
just buy a larger SATA SSD specifically for games and keep the current 1TB NVMe for the OS and applications.

game data is not going to see any performance improvement running off of the latest M.2 vs any average SATA SSD.
plus you will not have OS data being read/written to the same drive while you are in the middle of gaming.
If this upgrade were to replace my C:\Drive, it's all good and well to have more space, but what the heck do I do with the data that would consume that space if I had to, or wanted to format my pc?
if you don't have extra storage large enough to hold a backup image then you will be reinstalling everything each time you decide to format.

Reactions: iTRiP

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I don't know much about this, but what crosses my mind just looking at these offers in online stores are for example say I'd replace my current 1TB 980 pro with an 2TB 980 pro.

What the hell do I do with the now still perfectly working drive?
I wouldn't.

Instead, I would add another drive. Seen as just another drive letter.
Assuming, of course, your motherboard has sufficient M.2 ports.

Why not just add a larger SATA III SSD?
Leave things as they are on the 1TB, and add another drive as more drive space.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I wouldn't.

Instead, I would add another drive. Seen as just another drive letter.
Assuming, of course, your motherboard has sufficient M.2 ports.

Why not just add a larger SATA III SSD?
Leave things as they are on the 1TB, and add another drive as more drive space.

Well that was my original plan, but since these prices are still not coming down, this other option has now surfaced!

all my pc ports are already full besides having one pcie x16 ( the large slots available)
Would this thing work for that?
UGreen M.2 M/B-Key NVMe/SATA PCIE X4 Card | Buy Online in South Africa | takealot.com

And to add, I've only got one PCIe (gpu length slot) available, do you think this thing works in those slots as well?
Last time I had my second gpu installed into that slot and it did not work.

Anyway if I where to do this if it where at all possible, it would be great to rid my second pc of it's very small and cheap (ssd) C:\drive and replace that with this 1TB 980pro that I currently have as my Pc's C:\drive, and then place a new 2TB 980pro into that slot, and then later add more 2TB 980pro's into a expansions slots, but I might be upgrading cpu and motherboard before then and by that time surely motherboards will have more than two m.2 slots right?

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
What drives are currently in this system, and which specific motherboard?
Make/model/size.
Motherbaord:
B460M D3H rev 1.0 default {F2} bios ( cant or wont change that )
Drives:
B:\ SATA Seagate 500Gb.
C:\ NVMe Samsung 980 PRO 1TB.
D:\ NVMe Western Digital SN 550 2TB.
E:\ SATA Seagate 2TB.
F:\ SATA Seagate 2TB.
G:\ SATA Seagte 10Tb.

2nd pc: Motherbaord:
B250M D3H rev 1.0 {F9} bios.
Drives:
C:\SSD ADATA SU630 220Gb.
D:\ SATA Seagate 2Tb.
E:\ SSD Samsung 860evo 500Gb.

As one can see the 2nd pc would greatly benefit from having the 1st pc's C:\ drive.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Well, there ya go.
A use for the 1TB 980.
Now if I'd only know if the F9 bios on the b250 board would manage the 980pro 1tb, then I'd be all set to buy this new 2tb 980pro for my pc?

and then what I said here:
Seems it's finally time to have these larger NVMe drives for the correct pricing here in my country too.

What the hell do I do with the now still perfectly working drive? One thought came to mind that I might be able to install it in my other pc, that pc has an b250 motherboard, and I just checked it has magically one nvme slot available, what a coincidence, now the other issue: If this upgrade were to replace my C:\Drive, it's all good and well to have more space, but what the heck do I do with the data that would consume that space if I had to, or wanted to format my pc?

Currently as it stands now it's all very easy, I just move all my game data to my second nvme drive, format, reinstall windows and move the data back, So hence the problem I see forth in having even larger C:\drive than what I have now, of course I would be able to buy and install even more loved games and have them all at the ready to play, but like I said more space more problems, but then again why the heck not.

Just too bad I can't seem to have even more than two nvme drives in one pc, on a LGA 1200 motherboard?

And just too add the prices are still not really fare, but at least it isn't $540 or more for a 2TB 980 pro anymore, but more like $232!

Can't believe that it has taken this long too get there, must have been like a few years since I wanted to do an upgrade like this.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Yes it will work.
They are forward and backwards compatible.
Besides that, a change of this magnitude comes with lots to do, formatting both pc's C:\drives and then reinstalling both C:\drives (besides the hardware installation and removal)
So even if it were a step up for both pc's it's still alot of work, to make it all happen, anyway thanks for the advice and insight, Guese I'll go think on this for some time now.

Even have to convince the parentals that that 2pc's would run just as well with my old drive as their new C:\drive, but what comes to mind now is that they don't seem to need so much C:\drive space but would only benefit from faster copying speed.

USAFRet

Titan
Besides that, a change of this magnitude comes with lots to do, formatting both pc's C:\drives and then reinstalling both C:\drives (besides the hardware installation and removal)
So even if it were a step up for both pc's it's still alot of work, to make it all happen, anyway thanks for the advice and insight, Guese I'll go think on this for some time now.
In both systems, you can clone or Image from the current drive to the new one.

TRENDING THREADS