Question Laser printer problem

NigelJ

Commendable
Dec 15, 2020
I have a Samsung ML1630 laser printer which works fine on my old PC but not my newest one. A while ago I used it with a print server (on my newest PC only) but when the print server went faulty (kept causing blue screens) I uninstalled it and tried to get the PC to print direct again. The only problem is when I try to reinstall the driver the PC reports that it can't see the printer even though it's connected and switched on. I think the PC still thinks the print server is still connected, even though I've uninstalled it. Any suggestions?

Ralston18

Titan
This printer?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/samsung-ml-1630-laser-printer-series/17156950/manuals

USB cable connection between host computer and printer - correct?

With the objective/configuration being that the host computer shares the printer with other network computers - correct?

Are you able to try another known working USB cable between printer and host computer?

What is the source of the printer drivers? As I understand it the drivers should now be obtained via HP's website.

Manually download, reinstall, and configure. No third party tools or installers.

Look in Device Manager. Is the printer listed? Ensure that View > Show hidden devices is checked.

NigelJ

Commendable
Dec 15, 2020
I have tried a different USB cable, which I know is ok.
The printer is used stand alone (no network).
I've downloaded the latest driver from HP's website.
Before I can install the driver I have to connect the printer. The PC makes a 'clunking' sound when I connect/disconnect the printer, but it does not appear so I can install the driver.
The printer does not appear in Device Manager.
I'm convinced this has something to do with the print server, which I've uninstalled but I think the PC thinks it's still there.

Ralston18

Titan
Double check that "Show hidden devices" is checked.

"Clunking sound". Most systems provide a musical tone when a USB device is connected or disconnected. The clunk could simply be that the intended sound file is corrupt or has been changed.

Do a Google search on "How to customize Windows sounds". Check your system but do not (yet) make any sound changes. Objective is simply to determine what sound should be being made when a USB device/the printer is connected or disconnected. You can try using a USB thumb drive to learn if the clunky sound occurs or if some other sound is made.

Try direct access to the sounds menu by typing "Change system sounds" in the "Type here to search" box located in the lower left screen corner.

Scroll down through Program Events.

Listen to the Device Connect and Device Disconnect sounds. Listen to other sounds to discover which one (if any) is the "clunky" sound.

Could be some buggy or corrupted files involved.

On your PC:

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

Hopefully just a bit of "housekeeping" will make the printer visible and functional again.

I have tried a different USB cable, which I know is ok.
The printer is used stand alone (no network).
I've downloaded the latest driver from HP's website.
Before I can install the driver I have to connect the printer. The PC makes a 'clunking' sound when I connect/disconnect the printer, but it does not appear so I can install the driver.
The printer does not appear in Device Manager.
I'm convinced this has something to do with the print server, which I've uninstalled but I think the PC thinks it's still there.

The print server you used would not have anything to do with this since it's a new printer setup, unless you are doing something odd during the setup.

You may need to install the drivers manually, If the printer is showing up in Device Manager, right click on it there, go to drivers and point it to the installation of the drivers that the system should have.

NigelJ

Commendable
Dec 15, 2020
I don't know why I put HP, should have said Samsung. It's not a totally new set up as it was connected directly before I got the print server. It doesn't appear in device manager, and that's the problem, the PC needs to see it before I set up the driver. It's not the printer at fault as it works fine with my old PC which never had the print server installed.