Last Bios Time 30+ seconds

openexpression

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Hi all,

I'm wondering why my last Bios time is so slow...28-32 seconds usually. I heard 3-5 seconds is not unusual, and anything over 10 seconds is too slow. In real life performance, takes about 30 seconds from pushing the power button to the Windows login screen.

I run two SSDs (one of which is NVMe SSD). Boot priority #1 is my Operating System OS drive. I installed Windows 10 Home in UEFI mode.

Brand new computer built from scratch with very few applications installed. Only some MSI mobo utilities, Camwebapp for my NZXT Kraken X62, Chrome + several Chrome extensions, and CCleaner.

I disabled almost everything from starting up, especially Chrome.

I do have some USB devices plugged in like my keyboard mouse, USB extension cable, external HDD (though it's not actually powered on).

Specs (everything at stock, no overclock yet):

• AMD Ryzen 1700x
    MSI X370 Gaming Plus mobo
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb (2x8gb) RAM at 3200mhz (but running at 2133mhz)
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe SSD 500gb
    Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500gb (this is where my operating system is...I messed up and installed on wrong SSD, but still...)
    EVGA Supernova 850 watts G2 power supply
    NZXT Kraken X62 AIO water cooler
    ASUS GTX 1070 GPU
    Corsair 570X computer case

Barely anything installed (since this is a brand new computer). Here's my full list of programs: https://ibb.co/ddLJLv

What could be the issue?

Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
does it actually take that long or is it just saying it is? I assume you are looking at the start up tab in task manager? Mine shows 9 seconds. All that time means is that is how long it takes for motherboard bios to hand control to windows, but I have seen it report incorrect times before. If there is a time difference between bios time and system time, that will also show here.

Agreed. What does your task manager say? Task Manager/Start-up tab

Start-up.png

The oddity I see are Nvidia drivers. They may be confusing your system. Have you disabled all other boot options? Trying a clean boot and then adding 1 program at a time is one way to see if a program is causing issues.

Never mind about the Nvidia drivers. Those are to be expected.

openexpression

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
What do you mean by disable all other boot options? The other boot options are simply #2, #3, and so forth priority. Not sure how to flat out disable them.

Task manager says 28-32 seconds for last Bios time. In reality, it also takes about 30 seconds from pressing the power on button to loading the Windows login screen.

What do you mean by clean boot? So, uninstall the few programs I have, including Nvidia drivers (which I never manually installed myself...they just somehow got added)?

Within the BIOS I have close to a dozen boot(more or less) options including an A: drive if I am not mistaken. I disabled all of the boot options so that it will look to only the the SSD to boot, The priority is a different story. However with only 1 boot device the priority is simple. With the non-powered USB drive in place there is a possibility it's looking there for too long.

I am still not understanding your boot time. My OS tells me the exact time it takes to boot. You are giving a window which my OS doesn't give me. With such a recent build it would seem you have 10 but your boot time scenario belies that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The bios time in task manager/startup = the time the bios takes to hand control to windows, not the boot time of PC.
If I want to know how fast windows itself loads, I have to look in Bit defender as it has a startup optimizer and it tells me my time is 40.4 seconds (Perhaps a little slow but that is to desktop with everything running).

Some bios also have a feature called Fast startup which will speed it up a little as it ignores the other USB devices except mouse/kb at boot.

SO very true. However with MSI Fast Boot I have an additional 2-3 seconds added to my boot time. Odd but true. I also have that feature disabled. Probably the exception to the rule. I am not trying to say the fast startup option is bad. It only doesn't help me.

openexpression

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Thanks for the clarification about last BIOS time vs boot time of PC. I didn't know that.

I don't see where I can enable or disable MSI Fast Boot. I have the MSI X370 Gaming Plus motherboard.

So I just formatted and reinstalled a fresh Windows with no other programs. Installed a clean Windows 10 to my nvme SSD. But the last BIOS time is still around 30 seconds.

Please take a look: http://ibb.co/cVZJna

I'm not sure what settings in BIOS I need to set to make things faster. Thank you.

As you can see below I only have one icon/device enabled for boot.

MSI_Snap_Shot.jpg

Does it help? Idk. Logically speaking it shouldn't. Look to first boot device and boot it.

I also use Ccleaner. Click on tools and then start-up. It may give you options M$ isn't giving you. With a 4.9 second boot time I must be doing something right.

I've also gone through Services and disabled everything that isn't necessary. I don't have a printer so print spooler is disabled. I know what I need and what I don't because of a lot of Googling.

You have a SSD. Odd boot time.Try removing everything from the PC. Everything not necessary like the powered down external drive. This includes the USB dongle(s) for the keyboard and mouse which can be connected at the log in screen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't see MSI Fast boot in your Bios either, maybe its only an Intel thing (I haven't had much to do with Ryzen bios yet)
in Bios, press F7 to get advanced view
click settings
click advanced
under windows 10 WHQL Support, this should be set to enabled (should be already)

wonder if it is a difference in BIOS time compared to windows time. As you say it only takes 30 seconds to get to windows desktop which is about normal. The task manager time might just be wrong

The only downside i see to removing all the other drives from boot order is what happens if SSD stops working. Though its better than leaving something else there that would cause a problem, I would be inclined to set it as USB device so you are prepared for the day SSD doesn't boot.

openexpression

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
I did enable Windows 10 WQHL. Then I figured out how to disable everything else other than my SSD for booting. If my SSD one day fails to boot, can't I just go back to the BIOS...re-enable something like DVD or USB Key, then boot from there?

Yeah...once the mobo splash screen (well actually I disabled it, so it's the Windows logo instead now) loads, it only takes like 5 seconds or less to get into the Windows login screen (and like 3 seconds after typing in my password to fully load up Windows desktop).

It's everything before the password part that takes awhile. I thought SSDs, especially NVMe, would be a lot faster. I was hoping for like 10 - 15 seconds.

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you got latest motherboard drivers as the step before login screen is where it looks for drives etc. SO if you only have nvme plugged in and no extra USB devices (0r speakers), the only slow down can be caused by drivers.

Do you have latest BIOS as on new boards, BIOS can add new features and add stability

If you have MSI Live Update 6 installed, run it and see if it finds anything new - not sure I would let it update BIOS from in windows though. Otherwise, look on the MSI web site for motherboard and confirm drivers you are using are newest.

you are right, you could add another device if SSD dies, I have just seen weird things happen if no choices available. Some PC put you in something called EFI shell which is no fun.

openexpression

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
I have not flashed BIOS before.
However, I did MSI Live Uodate 6 and got the latest AMD and MSI drivers, Realtek PCIe drivers, and Realtek HD audio drivers. Didn't install any MSI utilities this time.

I'll remove all USB devices and speakers and try again.

UPDATE: I removed everything except power cord, HDMI cable, and ethernet cable. So disconnected speakers and all USB devices. Same last BIOS time (around 28-29 seconds).

Parth4444

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016

You can Also install this app to se the full detailed info about what is going wrong..may be your Power Supplier is a bit slow so that it takes some time to get started and give power to motherboard.. may be that could be an issue.. if you found the issue then i would glad to know and else here is the Software,
"Bootracer" its really good and gives you comprehensive details with your machine and booting:http://www.greatis.com/bootracer/index.html

68250d1485964121t-what-normal-bios-time-windows10-screenshot.png