Last chance to stop me (PC upgrade advice)

SheaStyle

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
looking at upgrading my PC. I did this over a year ago, just never bit the bullet. My current computer:

MSI RX480 Neo2
AMD Athalon 64 Athlon 3700+ 2.21 GHz
2 x 1.0 GB RAM
150 GB Western Digital HDD
Radeon x1950 Serieis
Antec 500W PSU
Seagate 1 TB external HDD (i forget the model)

This was my first build almost 12 years ago. It has served me well just can't hold any more RAM. My replacement needs to be a powerful, quick all-around computer. I'd like to play around with over-clocking, not that I feel I need it, just never have done it and want to learn more about it. I want it to eventually be able to handle multiple programs running , such video editing software and 3d graphic animation programs. Also need it to run hi-res games and hd recordiing software simutaneously, along with music software and so on. Right now I can't afford what i want, but I can afford to get started in that direction.

On a tight budget, so here's what I want to do. I've got about $800-$1000 to spend now. I'm thinking of just getting the "guts" for my new computer. keeping my PSU, HDD, and yes, my ancient Radeon x1950(for now) and getting a new motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler, Memory, and a SSD. I know the x1950 has to go, just want to get the rest of this out of the way and get a little more cash before I choose my new GPU and probably a new PSU.

Looking at this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9836494&sku=M69-103111

It's the Intel I7-6700k in the Asus Maximus VIII Hero (in case the link did'nt work). It's a little overkill, I know, as I will probably never use 64 GB of RAM. But lack of being able to expand my RAM is what got me here. Also with a discount i can get off my credit card, i can get the combo for under $500.00. And the reason I'm still hanging in with a 12 year old computer is because I went a little overboard back then.

Here's the rest:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dzwWQ7

Couldn't find the RAM on partpicker, so heres the link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231933

I'm set on the case(again.overkill) though may go with a smaller version Obsedian, but want plenty of room for expansion. And pretty set on the MoBo, CPU combo, unless someone sees a reason to go a different direction. My questions:

1. Do you forsee any problems being able to limp by for a couple months with my current PSU and GPU with the new Mobo?

2. I really think 16 GB of Ram will be plenty for awhile, or should I just go ahead and get 32 GB?

3. Any opinions/suggestions on the build and how I'm attempting to go about it.

4. When I do get ready to purchase a GPU, I'm liking this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1FT-001K-00002
Opinions?

Sorry for the long post, but any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
Shea

I think you will really luv that build! The Hero MB is an excellent choice too. You should be able to OC plenty. The previous Hero boards were hard to beat. I bet this new LGA1151 Hero MB will be that and more.

SheaStyle

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

Well, thats not quite the ringing endorsement that the Hero got :)

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
have you given thought to going to a workstation class board? ditch the overclocking, but go Xeon with more cores & more threads. buy a 1x8G ram stick, and a nice cheap small 120G SSD for the OS.

SheaStyle

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

Thought about it, but as this is my personal computer and right now all my video editing, 3d animation, and such is for my personnal enjoyment rather than for a heavy workload; decided I'd probably be better off with the raw processing power. I know more threads benefit that type of work, but as I'm not constantly rendering thought I would benifit more by going with the skylake. But I'm just getting into video capture, so I realize if I start spending large amounts of time and effort with it, I'll probably be wishing I had those extra threads. I figure 8GB of RAM is probably enough for me now, just figured the price difference between 8 and 16GB is minimal. Better safe than sorry. And if anything I lean toward a larger SSD as opposed to a smaller one. Any reason to back it down to 120G as opposed to the 500G besides saving some cash. Do you think it is better to have an SSD strictly dedicated to the OS as opposed to a multi-purpose/multi-program one?

SheaStyle

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

From my understanding the i7-6700k has hypertheading and 8 threads.Besides of the zeons that fall in my budget, it seems that the most I could get is six cores. Do you think the 2 extra cores would get me that much more benefit? Am I missing or misunderstanding something?

You need to install at least 2 memory sticks (dual channel) for the full hyperthreading to work. At least dual channel memory is what you should get for what you want to do. Video editing and 3D animation and the like is where hyperthreading really shines. And yes, get the biggest SSD that you will need. HDD's will slow your video software work down. Dual channel give your system more bandwidth making your CPU computing lot's more efficient and faster too with video software. A few more FPS in gaming too.

SheaStyle

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

I tend to agree. Do you think I'll have any problems using my current PSU and GPU until I get my new ones?

SheaStyle

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

Was clicking around and came across this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake-memory-support,30185.html

Which makes me want to switch out the 1.25V 2800 memory for this 1.2V 2666.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231892

Am I understanding correctly that for safer performance and so I don't have to underclock my RAM, that I should stick with 1.2V RAM?

I believe that 500W is right around the minimum requirements for the GTX 970. The 500W PSU should be OK since the new boards & CPU's use less wattage/current.

Either of those memory kits will/should work. I would stick with a decent DDR4 kit. The boards will most likely support higher voltages for OC'ing. If you wanted to OC the DDR4 2800 memory or the DDR4 2666 memory, you will more than like have to increase the voltage as well as OC the CPU some too.

SheaStyle

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

Thanks for all the info. I very much appreciate it.

TRENDING THREADS