Last Gryphon Out Of Stormwind: Blizzard’s Chris Metzen Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Metzen was really good when he first started at Blizzard, but the last 10 years or so his storytelling has gotten bad. If you look at the storylines across World of Warcraft and Starcraft 2 it's essentially the same. Of course the constant retcons and and non stop changing of the Warcraft lore has driven many Warcraft fans away from WoW. It was really bad a few years ago when a fan who pointed out that he had forgotten his own storyline concerning Falstad not to mention how he messed up the Eredar storyline. My personal opinion is this was more of a "you need to retire" and he didn't have much choice, especially with yet another baddie who had been previously defeated showing up yet again.

I hope they give the story responsibilities to Samwise. I think he could really turn things around and maybe inject some new life back into WoW.

I've been playing Warcraft since the 1st game and I'm enjoying Legion now (which is the best selling expansion in history). Thank you Chris for all the great times in the Warcraft universe killing Orcs and exploring all the strange wonderful lands. I'm glad your exit was a lot kinder than Varian's & Vol'jin's were. See you out there slaughtering demons.

nycalex

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Thank you Chris and i wish you the best.

i will never forget the hours spent on wc1 and specially wc2. it defined my pre-teen years.
oh and how could i forget diablo! the first one was just too good. you followed up on that nicely with diablo 2. but WTF happenned in diablo 3? did you guys run out of ideas?

and starcraft.......man you made that game into a national game in korea, good job!

Gorthaur

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
"His contributions to Blizzard's expansive lore is what John Lennon was to The Beatles, or what Steve Jobs was to Apple"

....this is where you lost me. Lennon or Jobs.....you might as well have just called him an abusive, self-absorbed jerk and ended the story there.

Status
Not open for further replies.