[SOLVED] Last Motherboard / System with Legs: That will last 15 years

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

timtak

Honorable
Sep 29, 2016
I am looking for a new motherboard / system that has legs, in the sense that it will last a long time -- ideally 15 years.

My SSD equipped Intel Corei7 computer is about 15 years old. it works fine. I don't need anything faster afaik. Even rendering video is fast enough for me. But I don't think that it will keep working for (assuming I am alive that long) the 10 or 15 years till I retire.

I try to purchase SSDs, and power supplies that have a lot of watts, or extra watts, since that seems to encourage computers to last a long time.

But other than SSDs and a good power supply, is there anything else I should purchase so that my next computer lasts at least another 15 years?

I am scared that if I get the latest fastest i9 chips and motherboard it may last less well due to its higher performance that I don't really need.

Is there anything else that will improve the longevity of my last computer? Water cooling? A good fan? Bigger box? Rubber feet? A certain type of mother board? A low power chip set?

Last edited:
Solution