Last Verification Before New Build Purchase

jbkillable

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015
Hello!
I've come to a settling point with my next build, which is meant to be an expensive, overkill build both to treat myself, and to commemorate seeing a friend I haven't seen for ages, which I will be building it with.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ChBVD8 (Case and storage are being reused from current build)
I'm just here for a last-check verification by people with much more knowledge on compatibility and everything than I do, and perhaps to have a bit of discussion on it, if anyone's so inclined.

jbkillable

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

Ah, forgot to include that in the original post, I'll be wiping and reusing the two hard drives from my current build, too.

PSU is low grade and the board is pretty cheap

go for a 550W XFX / Corsair RMX or Seasonic unit
and maybe invest a few bucks in a better board if you can, like a Gigabyte Gaming K3 or a ASROck Fatality 4

USAFRet

Titan

For a build of that level, you should include an SSD.
Maybe $70 for a 250GB.

jbkillable

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

I will be getting one at a later time, it just isn't really a priority at the moment.

jbkillable

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

Taking a glance at the specs of the two you mentioned, there doesn't seem to be too much of a difference between the three, (but do correct me if I'm wrong, as I said, not the smartest when it comes to these things) beyond the Gigabyte board having higher supported RAM speeds. Which already isn't a big deal, as the Pro4s and the kit I've chosen are already more than enough
In other words, is the Gigabyte really worth spending twice as much as the Pro4s, and what makes the Fatal1ty stand out?

my apologies, I got the board mixed up with the ASRock Z170A-X1

however, the Fataility series and Gigabyte boards in general come with higher build quality than the low-end boards by AsRock

that being said, if the other boards are TWICE as much, stick with your board (where I'm located a K3 is ~10€ more expensive, the Fatality ~20€)

jbkillable

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

Yeah, the board I chose is only $73. From what I've gathered in asking about and searching, the board I chose isn't the best, but for the price, it's quite good.
Of course, build quality does matter, but is it truly so big a deal with the Pro4s that it would warrant putting forth so significant an amount for a relatively similar board? (It's not like the Pro4s will explode the instant I touch it, right)
I don't so much mind paying extra, the entire point of this build is to have a powerful computer, and enjoy being a bit frivolous due to the ages I've worked in order to save up.

it sorta depends on what you plan on doing. if you use your board heavily - populating all RAM slots at max speed, connect several sata & pcie drives, overclock the cpu, and so on it might not react too well to it, especially over time.
but yeah, selling a Gaming K3 for 150$ should be illegal. this is a 100$ board in other parts of the world.
you'll be fine probably. looking at pcpartpicker boards got a good deal more expensive in the US over the last weeks, no need to overspend.

jbkillable

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

No, I don't plan on having RAM in all slots, I'm getting 16gb running dual channel. I only intend to have two hard drives in at most. No overclocking or anything, only one gpu. What's on the pcpartpicker is all I intend to have for a long, long time, (hard drives aren't listed because I'm far too lazy to track down the ones I have, and plus an optical drive.)