Question Latency and graphical issues in certain games ?

MrHaamu

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2013
So I have ran into a very peculiar issue with my computer. In many games whenever I try to run them in full screen, the quality gets drastically worse and the screen gets a yellow tint. I already had this issue back in 2015 with my R9 290, but I assumed it was related to that card (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/sapphire-r9-290-tri-x-graphic-problems.2185448/) and when I couldnt get it fixed I let it go. Now however I have gotten a "new" graphics card from a friend a while back, and because I play games in windowed borderless, I didnt notice anything. However, when I tried to launch Overwatch 2 and changed to fullscreen, the same issues came up again. This has to mean that they were not GPU related - but must be something else.

My monitor is quite old, and when I check on Windows - it shows that it is running at 59,934Hz. I can change that to different options between 25-60Hz, but all of the other options besides that specific refresh rate display as the same blurry yellow tinted mess that all the games do (also same thing if I change the setting in the GPU settings via Windows). Since games run at 60Hz usually, I think it does explain why the issue happened before - since it happens every time the monitor is refreshing at 60Hz instead of 59,934Hz (maybe)? Issue is that I still dont know why that is.

When I tried to play Overwatch 2 the game was stuttering badly and had dramatic frame drops, and I decided to log the performance with Nvidia Geforce Experience. When I am running the game in fullscreen (and assumably 60.00Hz), it looks bad as usual, and the render latency at worst went to +2000ms and there were some really bad FPS drops although at times it is +200FPS. When I put the game to fullscreen borderless it only goes up to 59/60FPS and while there are some render latency issues - they are nowhere near as bad as the results for fullscreen - but they still make the game unplayable.

I am trying to figure out why there are such bad render latency / FPS drops while playing the game. I have checked my CPU, GPU drivers and BIOS updates etc. I only have 8gb of RAM, but when I check my RAM usage during gameplay it is only using about 7GB so I do not think it is a ram issue. My GPU is only using about 40% VRAM at max, and is not utilizing even 100% because I turned the graphics down quite a bit already. I have an I5 4670k (OC to 4,2Ghz currently), and I have been able to run many other games perfectly, and while I do recognize its an older processor, I have a hard time believing that its the reason why the games are playing so horribly. I would love to hear any ideas on what could be causing my issues. Thanks in advance and more than happy to provide more information or logs.

(for some reason I cant post the names of the games that run well without getting an automatic spam filter thing)

Processor: i5 4670k @4.2GHz, Noctua NH-9B SE2
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce OC (10DE 13C2)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2x4GB) Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHz
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64bit (22H2)

Last edited:

MrHaamu

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2013
When you get GPU from friends. Do you remove the old drivers from other cards and install drivers for your current GPU? If not download the current cards drivers from the manufactures website. Also could be that you need to buy a new card and not use old ones.

https://www.guru3d.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller-download
Yes I used DDU before I installed the card, and I have used it after installation as well to see if that would fix it - but to no avail. I have the most up to date drivers for my current card from Nvidia.
The GTX970 I currently have worked perfectly fine in my friends computer, and it works "perfectly" in mine as well (that is, not any differently than my previous card).
Sure a new card could be better, but a GTX970 can still run current games decently well so I don't see the need to get a new one. (And I'd have to rebuild the whole pc most likely)

At the very least do you have or can you borrow a monitor to see if yours is the heart of the issue. I have an old Westinghouse 26" that if it's on a setting it dislikes I get a green line on left from top to bottom.

MrHaamu

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2013
At the very least do you have or can you borrow a monitor to see if yours is the heart of the issue. I have an old Westinghouse 26" that if it's on a setting it dislikes I get a green line on left from top to bottom.
I could try to hook up the PC to another TV screen, or try and see if I can output to my laptop. I will report back if that changes things.