Question Latency Variation & Ping Spikes

Freakface109

Honorable
Jun 27, 2016
I am a competitive Rocket League player, and I've been having internet issues for quite a while (constant latency variation & ping spikes to google and modem). I'd been putting off trying to figure it out at first, but eventually got sick of it. I ran some speed tests a while ago getting less than 3mbps in both upload and download. So I got a new usb wifi stick that should've been an improvement over my old one (which I still have just in case).

The lag spikes continued and I convinced my parents to buy a new router and now a modem. My upload and download are really good now, however I'm still getting ping spikes to google. And also I'm seeing ping spikes when I ping my router.

and to my router, so I'm still lagging in game :(

I've read and learned a lot more than I used to know, and I'm determined to get this permanently solved. Here's some stuff:
WiFi Stick Model: Netgear Wireless ac600 Dual Band (I use the 5G wifi, and I know the drivers are up to date)
Router Model: Netgear Nighthawk r7000 ac1900
Modem Model: Arris Touchstone cm8200
ISP: Cox

From reading some other posts it seems like a common problem is interference from other nearby networks. Could that be the case for me? And if it is, would the only solution be to switch to Ethernet? My room is the farthest from the room with the router and modem so that's why I've been using wifi adapters.

Last edited:

Freakface109

Honorable
Jun 27, 2016
Hmm, it isn't letting me submit the post when I put gyazo links, marks it as spam. Anyways to summarize, I go from ~15ms to 300 to 500 back to 15 when pinging google, and occasionally it goes up to 2000ms or just times out. My modem goes from 1-5ms to over 100 sometimes.

If I can get this post approved for gyazo links I can put them into the original post and delete this reply.

Dec 3, 2019
To answer if it'd be better to switch to ethernet you need to provide more information:

1. go with your phone next to the router and run a speed test and tell us the down and up numbers
  2. how many users are in the household?

It is very likely that your download and upload speeds are not enough, and when a family member watches a video or downloads/uploads something (could even be streaming)they take all of the bandwith. Like on a typical adsl2 or vdsl connection, unless it has some rights managment, someone downloading or streaming can take all the lines bandwith.

If it is a bandwith problem, you would need to upgrade your connection to 100 or 200mbps fiber.

If that's not the case, then probably you need to switch to ethernet as you suggested.