Latest 'Doom' Update Now Supports Vulkan API

Status
Not open for further replies.

neblogai

Distinguished
It seems that both AMD and nVidia have massive gains on Vulkan, and some users report latest patch gains in OpenGL as well. It would be great if Toms made a comparison of low and high end CPU and GPU performance on Doom. And maybe use it as one of the benchmark games for GPU reviews, for Vulkan performance.

megajynx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Update: It's been a slightly disappointing experience for me. When it runs, it runs.... and its so so so good. However, it now crashed a lot on Vulkan. 0% blame on developers because my 760GTX has 1.5GB ram, so it shouldn't run anyway seeing they want 2+.

Neblogai: I'll try OpenGL and see if theres a boost there.

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hmm could this let me play at 4k at 60fps ? I can do 4k now but it drops out, so I do 1440p. I have a new GF1080, 4790k, 32GB setup..

Will be interesting to see new benchmarks come out for sure.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Doom used OpenGL (Khronos high-level API) and now it will also support Vulkan (Khronos low-level API). DirectX was never part of Doom. id traditionally used OpenGL, not because it was better (see statements by Carmack) but because it was what they used and were most comfortable with. Now they're adding Vulkan to the mix which is the logical route to take when you have an OpenGL engine.

I am curious to see how much of a performance gain users with lower-end CPUs will see. The low-level APIs can take some pressure off the CPU, depending on how they're used.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
"In addition, asynchronous compute, a GPU feature that further increases performance, works only in AMD cards in conjunction with Vulkan."
Shouldn't that read GCN based AMD cards? I'm pretty sure my older AMD card doesn't support async compute. :( Not that it matters much for now anyway. Bring on the Vulkan games. Die directx die. :) There is no reason Dx12 can't work with win7 etc. MSFT just wants to force win10 on us. Hence my vulkan lovefest ;) Vulkan will work for all Operating systems and as such will be easily portable for devs. We should get better games at some point, since they'll save the time of supporting dx.

chris AMD

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
When I enable vulkan i get flickering and a color distortion on side of screen. It doesn't do this in open gl mode. I have the latest drivers as well. I'm running a Rx 480 card

Rufinoman

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
Vulkan has doubled the framerate on my Radeon 7950 and i can now play on ultra at around 70 fps.
I'm very impressed!

ikir83

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Great news, Vulcan should fly compared to OpenGL. On Mac side the first games using Metal are coming out and the gains are very high (60%)
http://www.macgamerhq.com/news/wow-legion-mac/

Status
Not open for further replies.