Latest Mac OS X Still Not Liking Intel Atom

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
This might make it annoying for people trying to update from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 but I hardly think it will be an issue with people doing clean installs. If Atom support was there in 10.6.1 it seems like there will be "patched" 10.6.2 version with Atom support up on the torrent sites within days of release.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Yeah, it seems every time a company tries to prevent something, people break through and do it anyway. Someone will figure out a way to run it on the Atom CPU, and it won't take long. Why bother though when Win7 is more polished, more stable, faster and supports more software?

G

who care who want a crapple operation system anyway its just linux with some mods. but you can get most of those mods thru downloads anyway

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Looks like Apple will do anything to keep their POS OS locked only on their H/W. Couldn't care less...
Serously, why would one want to degrade their netbook with OS X? Even WinXP is better, not to mention Win 7... And if you want to go lite, then Ubuntu.
I "like" how Marcus uses the word 'hackintosh' repeatedly, as if their owners were some low-life hackers; listen, buddy, if I buy a piece of hardware and a piece of software to put on it, then I can do whatever I want with it, capisci? So don't try to step on our toes when it's not called for!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]Looks like Apple will do anything to keep their POS OS locked only on their H/W. Couldn't care less...Serously, why would one want to degrade their netbook with OS X? Even WinXP is better, not to mention Win 7... And if you want to go lite, then Ubuntu. I "like" how Marcus uses the word 'hackintosh' repeatedly, as if their owners were some low-life hackers; listen, buddy, if I buy a piece of hardware and a piece of software to put on it, then I can do whatever I want with it, capisci? So don't try to step on our toes when it's not called for![/citation]
It's called a hackintosh.
Some people may want OSX on their netbook, and that's their choice.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]Looks like Apple will do anything to keep their POS OS locked only on their H/W. Couldn't care less...Serously, why would one want to degrade their netbook with OS X? Even WinXP is better, not to mention Win 7... And if you want to go lite, then Ubuntu. I "like" how Marcus uses the word 'hackintosh' repeatedly, as if their owners were some low-life hackers; listen, buddy, if I buy a piece of hardware and a piece of software to put on it, then I can do whatever I want with it, capisci? So don't try to step on our toes when it's not called for![/citation]
hackintosh is just the accepted name for this type of setup using non-apple hardware. He's not insulting your mother or anything, he's simply calling a horse a horse.

This news is hardly surprising. Did they think the apple engineers would care to support additional hardware they wont see a profit from? Who do they think they are, microsoft?

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I installed OSX86 on my laptop over the weekend.

WHY do people like this o/s? it sucks! haha. I got everything working on my laptop but uhhhh what's there to do in it that Windows 7 can't do? Windows 95/98/xp/vista/7 can do more than this silly thing I wasted my time on.

Tom's Hardware needs to kinda tone down the mac articles, this o/s is fine for surfing the web and listening to mp3s I guess but FEH! Bring on more interesting news.

Hey bring me an Atom with Windows XP in it I'll have more fun than osx LOL

G

Apple's worse than a BSOD!
It just doesn't run ANYTHING AT ALL on an Atom!
Shows how crappy their mentality really is!

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]njkid3[/nom]who care who want a crapple operation system anyway its just linux with some mods. but you can get most of those mods thru downloads anyway[/citation]

It is Darwin but yeah seriously....

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Apple's worse than a BSOD!It just doesn't run ANYTHING AT ALL on an Atom!Shows how crappy their mentality really is![/citation]

Kernel panic screens are things that no mac user ever mentions and they go tee-hee at the BSOD screens. These are computers, either one can crash. My aunt says that her coworkers hated macs when they had them because they were always going into kernel panic or freezing up. lol.

mcreskiller

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]I installed OSX86 on my laptop over the weekend.WHY do people like this o/s? it sucks! haha. I got everything working on my laptop but uhhhh what's there to do in it that Windows 7 can't do? Windows 95/98/xp/vista/7 can do more than this silly thing I wasted my time on.Tom's Hardware needs to kinda tone down the mac articles, this o/s is fine for surfing the web and listening to mp3s I guess but FEH! Bring on more interesting news.Hey bring me an Atom with Windows XP in it I'll have more fun than osx LOL[/citation]
Amen My friend who was a devoted mac fan switched to windows 7 he even finds it more stable he sold his piece of crap imac and got a real pc and i installed windows 7 on it he wanted some software boom he found some in seconds vs what would have took hours on a mac

mcreskiller

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]Kernel panic screens are things that no mac user ever mentions and they go tee-hee at the BSOD screens. These are computers, either one can crash. My aunt says that her coworkers hated macs when they had them because they were always going into kernel panic or freezing up. lol.[/citation]
Haha ye and with a kernal panic you got no clue what went wrong atleast with a blue screen it does a ram dump.. which can help a bit

mitchmeister03

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I agree with everyone here. I don't see why people would want to get OSX to run on a netbook anyways. It's not like OSX really does anything more than 7 or Ubuntu can't do...

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

Actually, everyone refers to it as a Hackintosh (in the past it required some serious hacking to get it to load on a standard PC - in recent months however a retail DVD is required).

As for your last statement, believe it or not the entertainment industry has gone a long way in screwing you out of that right...ever heard of the DMCA? That being said, it seems that Apple seems fairly easy going on this - there's plenty of sites dedicated to helping people get OS X on standard PCs running and Apple is leaving them alone.

It's Apple's business if they want to alienate potential customers who want to use their OS on a netbook. I don't see what the big deal is myself. Apple could surely see an upside to more people using their OS, which in turn could potentially lead more to switch to MACs down the road.

G

I hate apple just as much as the next guy (here at tom's anyways) but I have OSX installed on my dell mini and it's awesome. XP and Win7 run like crap after all the AV software you have to use in windows. My first choice would have been ubuntu netbook remix but I only chose OSX over linux because of MS Office (I really don't like open office)

Seriously you guys need to run OSX on your netbook to fully appreciate it. It works very fast and does everything I need it to. Plus it was DIY so I didn't pay the Apple tax and I can laugh at the iDiots that payed $$$$ for their POS mac hardware :)

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Wow a bunch of wanna-bee computer geeks pretending like they know something about different operating systems... it's a Pee-Cee Fan-Boi convention!

This is the downside to on-line forums. Everyone can talk out their ass about stuff they know nothing about and feel good about it. I'm sure most of you complaining above haven't used any OS other than Windows, and no version prior to XP.

It's obvious a lot of experienced computer users want to run OSX, Win 7 & Vista are more expensive, unproven (7) or bloated (Vista) Microsoft versions of Apples' OS design from 2001.

Now pee-cee weenies, you're welcome to miss a couple of virtual high-fives and neg-rate this post all you want. :kaola:

Status
Not open for further replies.