News Latest Windows 11 Preview Build Adds Search Box to Taskbar

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
A lot of people have been hating on the W11 /start menu and taskbar, kind of good to see Microsoft listening to customers.

Still, i think the KDE launcher menu(Start menu if you prefer) is better.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBalz

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I HATE THE SEARCH BOX!!! It's an absolute waste of screen real estate and should not be placed on the taskbar by default. Hated it in W10 and hate it in W11. Just click the start button or hit the Win key on the keyboard and search for what you want. There is no need for a dedicated search function.

Reactions: bigdragon

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. One of the first things I disabled in Win10 and will continue to do in Win11. The only thing I search for in Windows is for apps in the rare occasion where the thing I'm looking for isn't normally on my start menu. Like Task Scheduler or something. If I want to search the web, I just click over to my web browser that is always open anyways and search where I want and don't let Microsoft give me crappy bing results. If Microsoft is going to bring back things from Win10, there's already lots of feedback for things that people actually want that they are ignoring.

D

Deleted member 1353997

I don't get this. Why do you need a search box on the taskbar to begin with ?

I just hit the Windows key on my keyboard and start typing. Why do you need a search box, it's the first thing I threw off the task bar.
Because not everyone knows you can just type directly on the Start Menu. It's also the reason why most windows have a "Cancel" button when you could also just close it instead.

Remember that Windows is an OS used by a billion people whose IT expertise stops at "clicks and double clicks".

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
This. This right here is the problem. Someone please shoot all the UI designers. All of them. Everywhere. There is no new functionality here. None. Nothing that makes my life better or easier. In fact just the opposite. Every couple months some little noob in a faraway office somewhere decides that they want to make a life-changing, reality-altering UI design that no one could possibly lve without. They simply have to scramble an interface we've all gotten used to into a whole new mess that we will all have to get used to all over again. On every platform everywhere, again and again and again.... and y'all wonder why we old farts love the command-line so much. At least that doesn't change. It just works and stays that way (excluding "git" which breaks the rule and changes keywords and arguments on a weekly basis just to keep the git-admin people employed). FFS, please just stop. Stop changing the UI. Leave it alone. Go home. You're done.

Reactions: Dan Nelson
Feb 22, 2023
The real problem here is how much Windows Search sucks. It is truly awful at finding files/directories on your computer. For that I must use voidtool's free Everything. That means I have to open up another window to search for anything anyway. Windows Search has been sucky and stagnant since at least Windows XP! (If you've ever struggled to find a file on your computer that you know the name but not where it is, I highly recommend Everything; also I'd be interested if anybody can tell me how to make Windows Search not suck without having to tell it what folders to index, i.e .everything on the computer)

Reactions: RichardtST

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
The real problem here is how much Windows Search sucks. It is truly awful at finding files/directories on your computer. For that I must use voidtool's free Everything. That means I have to open up another window to search for anything anyway. Windows Search has been sucky and stagnant since at least Windows XP! (If you've ever struggled to find a file on your computer that you know the name but not where it is, I highly recommend Everything; also I'd be interested if anybody can tell me how to make Windows Search not suck without having to tell it what folders to index, i.e .everything on the computer)

100% agree that Windows Search is hideous. "Agent Ransack" for windows is awesome. I always turn off indexing now, everywhere on everything and put a permanent stop to the service. File access is roughly 50% faster. Huge difference.

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014