News Launching A GeForce GTX 1050 Ti In 2021? Sure, Why Not?

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Actually a decent move, the last thing I want is my current GPU to die on me and have to either not game at all for months on end, maybe until the 4xxx gen comes out, or buy overpriced GPUs from up to 3 gens back depending on how costly GPUs are on my local stores.

Buying a cheap replacement for light gaming that I can then use for a mini itx system or something is good news.

Giroro

Splendid
Good, I'm all about this.
Hopefully Nvidia is working on something newer to replace the GTX 1050 Ti, but it is definitely a step in the right direction to make something available on the low end.

CB94

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
Has anyone else just given up and decided to wait a year till this crap is over with ? I was hopeful about building a new pc soon but after this mess I think I'll just wait for zen 4 and RTX 4--- series at this point. There isn't a ton of new games out that take advantage of all this new hardware and I was able to get a Series X.

itzmec

Reputable
Aug 30, 2016
Has anyone else just given up and decided to wait a year till this crap is over with ? I was hopeful about building a new pc soon but after this mess I think I'll just wait for zen 4 and RTX 4--- series at this point. There isn't a ton of new games out that take advantage of all this new hardware and I was able to get a Series X.
Yes, I did. I am instead going to gut and rehab my kitchen.

Reactions: Krotow

Giroro

Splendid

I listed my GTX 1080 on ebay, I'm hoping prices will come down enough in a month or two that I can get an RTX 3060 (or better) at its sale price, when things hopefully calm down a bit.
If not, meh, the RTX 2060MQ in my laptop isn't the worst thing out there. That laptop has some weird power throttling behavior though.

CB94

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
I listed my GTX 1080 on ebay, I'm hoping prices will come down enough in a month or two that I can get an RTX 3060 (or better) at its sale price, when things hopefully calm down a bit.
If not, meh, the RTX 2060MQ in my laptop isn't the worst thing out there. That laptop has some weird power throttling behavior though.

I'm still holding onto my GTX 980. I should be able to make it another year till I get a new build.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017

Due to Covid and crypto mining, expect to only find 2-3 generations behind of GPUs unless crypto prices tank entirely for a while.

If anyone is looking to replace the entire PC though, a prebuilt system with a new card is an option but know it will be your card long term.

Has anyone else just given up and decided to wait a year till this crap is over with ?

Yes. Wanted to get RTX 3070 and give my RTX 2060S to nephew. But in current situation will wait till not very much used RTX 3080 prices will fell down to 400€ range. Have a plenty of more necessary spending choices till that.

I hope my RX480 doesn't die on me - poor thing is still chugging along, but 5 years is pushing it for a GPU - even for me.

Keep it cool and clean and it will live for next 5 years.

If timelines stay consistent to prior gpu launches its more like 1 1/2 years until RTX4xxx series. Then there are always shortages on release so you may have to wait. The whole situation is terrible. It’s looking like the 3000 series won’t be readily available for many months and I wouldn’t be surprised if until into next year, by which time it seems sensible to wait for 4000 series but then some will have been waiting 2 years for their gpu upgrade. I’m also concerned what this situation will do to pricing, it’s effectively saying to NVIDIA and AMD that a significant % of the market will tolerate higher prices.

Reactions: everettfsargent
"Whole situation" is very poisonous for gaming market too. In some point PC gaming may simply cease to exist. Because people will not buy extremely overpriced graphic cards anymore. And game developers may left PC gaming market then and switch to consoles and smartphones completely.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
I was questioning the sanity of people that were eager to spend 500 dollars U.S. on a mid tier GPU.
I would choose a last gen console any day over that if I were the average typical gamer.

"Whole situation" is very poisonous for gaming market too. In some point PC gaming may simply cease to exist. Because people will not buy extremely overpriced graphic cards anymore. And game developers may left PC gaming market then and switch to consoles and smartphones completely.
The DIY market may shrivel up and die, but system builders can still get access to the components at a "fair" price. And who knows, maybe they'll implement an upgrade system where you have to prove you've purchased a computer through them before they sell you a new piece of hardware.

... system builders can still get access to the components at a "fair" price. And who knows, maybe they'll implement an upgrade system where you have to prove you've purchased a computer through them before they sell you a new piece of hardware.

Erm, not good at all. I will turn PC market into something what is now happening with Apple computers. In result remaining PC gamers will be forced to play on used junk scrapped from everywhere or overpay to system builders.

Erm, not good at all. I will turn PC market into something what is now happening with Apple computers. In result remaining PC gamers will be forced to play on used junk scrapped from everywhere or overpay to system builders.
I mean, maybe if you're a hardcore adherent to "I have to build everything." But I'm under no impression that the amount of PC gamers who buy pre-builts is trivial.

This is a terrible decision. An RTX 3060 is only 7-10fps faster than a GTX 1080 and maybe a bit more. You won't be running ray tracing on a 3060 with most titles because of low performance unless you pair it with DLSS on "quality" setting which is honestly still not that good looking. Ray tracing is still a gimic right now and should honestly be ignored by most people who don't have at least a 3060 TI/2080 or RX 6800 (maybe 6700 XT if it's fast enough). Your 2060 MQ is slower than a GTX 1070, so even that is not a better option than just keeping your GTX 1080 to play games or just mine cryptocoin to pay for a new 3060.

larkspur

Distinguished
This is a terrible decision. An RTX 3060 is only 7-10fps faster than a GTX 1080 and maybe a bit more. You won't be running ray tracing on a 3060 with most titles because of low performance unless you pair it with DLSS on "quality" setting which is honestly still not that good looking. Ray tracing is still a gimic right now and should honestly be ignored by most people who don't have at least a 3060 TI/2080 or RX 6800 (maybe 6700 XT if it's fast enough). Your 2060 MQ is slower than a GTX 1070, so even that is not a better option than just keeping your GTX 1080 to play games or just mine cryptocoin to pay for a new 3060.
You have to actually understand how much people are paying for used GPUs. While I haven't researched the used prices for the GTX 1080, I just sold my one-year-old AMD RX 580 8gb for $425 on ebay. I paid $135 brand new a year ago for a card that debuted in 2017... For me getting 300%+ the price I paid for it was easily worth going back to my 10 year old HD 6970 and playing older games. When the bubble bursts and there is a glut of GPUs I'll buy another ~$150 to $200 card that has twice or three times the performance of the RX 580. While I could mine ETH with the card, the profits are so weak and volatile that I might as well invest the $425 and use the interest to help fund my new card in a year or whenever things settle down. Pretty sure I'd do the same if I had a 1080.

You have to actually understand how much people are paying for used GPUs. While I haven't researched the used prices for the GTX 1080, I just sold my one-year-old AMD RX 580 8gb for $425 on ebay. I paid $135 brand new a year ago for a card that debuted in 2017... For me getting 300%+ the price I paid for it was easily worth going back to my 10 year old HD 6970 and playing older games. When the bubble bursts and there is a glut of GPUs I'll buy another ~$150 to $200 card that has twice or three times the performance of the RX 580. While I could mine ETH with the card, the profits are so weak and volatile that I might as well invest the $425 and use the interest to help fund my new card in a year or whenever things settle down. Pretty sure I'd do the same if I had a 1080.
Right now I'm mining Eth on a GTX 1060 6GB I bought in 2017 to mine with and my GTX 1070 from 2016 that has been my main gaming GPU since. I have projected profits of around $163 per month at current hashrate and bitcoin prices as of writing this. If I bought an RTX 3060 at $500, I would break even in about 2 months because I can add the 3060 to my current total hashrate.

My point being, it makes more sense to hold on to the cards you have so you can mine cryptocoin, instead of selling them for a quick buck, because you can gain more profit over time assuming you have profitable 6-8GB vram cards. If I ever actually get the chance to buy an RTX 3000 or RX 6000 series card, I'm going to use them to mine when I'm not playing games.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Has anyone else just given up and decided to wait a year till this crap is over with ?

Yup, right here. I have put my new build on hold as I'm not willing to pay over 1000 for a graphics card and I'm set on an RX 6800.

With what Valve (Steam) is doing for Linux gamers, I'm very excited though to build a new gaming machine.

Giroro

Splendid
It's a great decision, because a 3060 at retail means I get paid $150+ to upgrade to a slightly faster and more efficient card, with DLSS and Nvidia's updated codecs. But, with that kind of luck I would be getting a 3060 Ti, 3070, or RX 6700 XT instead . Worst case I have to wait until I can buy buy an RTX 3060 at ~$475, then it's just a free upgrade. People are not going to keep panic-buying GPUs forever, so I might as well sell before this card drops back down to ~$200 where it belongs.

I don't really care that my 2060MQ is a little worse than a GTX 1070. Most everything is playable and it only needs to handle "I absolutely can only play it on PC" games for a couple months. The only downside I see there, is that games usually hitch until I set the dumb fan management mode to "Turbo 100% fans even at Idle". I think the ROG fan management software is limiting power to the CPU instead of letting windows handle it.

I've tried mining crypto before. It was a huge hassle and absolutely not worth the effort. It took a literal month just to set up an account with a shady website that could hypothetically turn the imaginary computer number into real money, minus a giant fee and taxes. I would rather just let somebody else pay me to get scammed by Elon Musk's/China's money laundering scheme, or whatever. I would rather not spend my time worrying how much longer it will be until some researcher or government with a Quantum computer decides they want to steal $600 Billion - and makes every wallet worthless.

Last edited: