[SOLVED] Launching VLC zooms in LCD TV desktop

goldenset

Reputable
Feb 5, 2019
I thought I always had an install problem. I have an old'ish Dell 8700 desktop and I run VLC to project to the LCD TV (Sony Bravia XBR). Before, the desktop zooms in where the entire windows desktop is larger than what the TV screen can show. For ex., the start button is not showing on the tv and i have to guess where it is further down left/bottom. This sticks even after VLC is closed. Sometimes, I get the full desktop showing and the full task bar showing. Sometimes, it zooms in and I don't see all the taskbar.

Having done a fresh win10 install recently, voila, all is fitting in to the desktop. Yay! Then I install VLC and the same effect came back and stays zoomed in when VLC is closed. I have a zoom feature on the TV menu and I always have as show all.

After a restart, the desktop fully shows again. But it seems VLC does something where once you play something, and even closing it, I don't see the full desktop back unless I restart.

I searched here and there are a few VLC threads but none seem to be the situation I have.

P.S. Long time lurker here!

Solution
This is not a computer problem, its a TV problem. Go through the TV Settings and look under Screen to find the size setting that allows the full screen including task bar to appear. Perhaps your set is set to Automatic or something like that which is why it changes.

(This is a residual effect of the olden analog broadcast TV days when older screens could not display the whole image because there was information included along the edge of the image. So all the olden TVs would enlarge the images slightly to hide the edge. Now with digital images we don't need that so the TV should be set to always display the full image, which helps you see the whole computer image the same as on your monitor).
This is not a computer problem, its a TV problem. Go through the TV Settings and look under Screen to find the size setting that allows the full screen including task bar to appear. Perhaps your set is set to Automatic or something like that which is why it changes.

(This is a residual effect of the olden analog broadcast TV days when older screens could not display the whole image because there was information included along the edge of the image. So all the olden TVs would enlarge the images slightly to hide the edge. Now with digital images we don't need that so the TV should be set to always display the full image, which helps you see the whole computer image the same as on your monitor).

Solution