Lawsuit Royale: PUBG Corp. Sues Epic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaNerd56

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
I bought PUBG, and played for a while; it was okay.

Then, my kids got Fortnite, and we all play it. And 99% of the time, it’s the Save The World PvE campaign and not the PvP mode.

Honestly, both are boring and/or frustrating just doing PvP - it’s the same old crap, time after time.

The real fun is the co-op PvE in FN, which PUBG doesn’t have.

If they were smart, they’d build a PvE mode to compete instead of suing and whining.

I don't support this point of view, but it is also possible for them to create a PvE mode and sue / whine.

Spending a few thousand on a lawyer for a multi-million dollar payout isn't a bad return if you win the lawsuit.

I really don't think there's a lawsuit here simply because there are several Battle Royale movies like the japanese battle royale and hunger games, which throw players onto an island or dome. They use the environment to force contestants into a smaller area. So the concept of PUBG isn't original.

The only thing they added was jumping out of a cargo plane, which is not really all that novel. Now if PUBG had made a flying bus and fortnite copied a flying bus, then you could seek some damages. But 99% of the rest of the game isn't PUBG's property or original idea.

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
So now we're trying to copyright genres and basic game concepts? Maybe EA should sue PUBG Corp because they had soldiers jumping out of cargo planes first. Or maybe ID Software should sue them because they had the first (of my memory) free for all mode in Quake. Or maybe Blizzard should sue them for copying the color coded rarity loot system found in Diablo. And Muse can sue them for making a first person shooter which is obviously a copy of Wolfenstein. smh...

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I didn't know you could sue for something that has been done before years ago. Yes they expanded upon it but this type of game play is nothing new. All they are going to do is make them selves look like a-holes and cause people to hate their game. Maybe worry more about making the game better optimized so it can run on more hard ware smoothly and less buggy and people will actually want to play it more.

Also the game has been out for a long time people get tired of the same old thing and move on to other adventures. The same thing will happen to Fortnite after it has been out longer and people start moving on to something else. They need to either make the game better or move on themselves and make PUBG 2 with all kinds of new features and game play stop riding on the coat tales of your first big game for so long or just add the features to the current PUBG & also fix the problems with the game.

Fortnite may be the same type of game or close and it looks like a cartoon but they got it right by having the game run smoothly on a lot of hard ware straight from release oh and you can play some of it for free as well that is the biggest reason Fortnite is creaming PUBG...Maybe PUBG needs to have a scaled back free mode that matches the Fortnite free mode.

Actually, H1Z1's developer hired the lead developer of PUBG as a consultant, and officially licensed the Battle Royale concept from him. At the time, PUBG wasn't a thing yet though, so it was actually based on his previous mod for ARMA 2 that followed a similar concept.

I agree. They should look at some of the things Fortnite does better, and use that to improve their own game. Maybe add some additional modes, and make at least part of the game free to play, to get more people hooked on it. Also, focus on improving performance, so the game can run better on more systems, and on fixing hacking and latency issues that people have been complaining about since last year. Right now, PUBG stands at only 52% positive reviews on Steam, with only 35% positive in the last 30 days. Over 350,000 people have given their game a negative review on Steam, most with tens to hundreds of hours played, so I'm sure they should have a pretty good idea of what they need to do to improve it.

Matt_550

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
What's really funny is that there was a game mode on Rust that was utilized the rad zones to create a battle royale style map prior to even PUBG being released. Similar to Defense of the Ancients on Warcraft 3. Also, with every MOBA out there emulating the same game play but different how are these 2 really even clashing when each has its own target audience?

Giroro

Splendid
All I know is:
1- Game mechanics can be patented
2- US patents are currently first-to-file
3- Nobody has patented battle-royal game modes yet

... So excuse me for a moment as I need to, ahem, go file some paperwork.

JonDol

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Lol n00bs ! Not only they are late to the party but they also accuse Epic for copying them... So n00bs they don't even seem to know that Epic had Battle Royale type games, also based on the Unreal Engine 15 years ago with their Unreal Tournament games, just called Last Man Standing at the time :)

May 29, 2018
What is funny is the fact that fortnite was in developement before pubg was even a thing... i dare say it was the latter half of h1z1's alpha stage. Yet another pointless lawsuit.

jandrsn27

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
When your competitor makes a superior product sue and get a government enforced monopoly. Yeah Pubg your customers will love that business model! Here is an idea lower your graphics requirements and go f2p, start competing and stop crying that you lost the race!

Patenting has gotten to be a real mess... if you actually read some of the basic patent law you find out that MOST AWARDED PATENTS actually violate this...

For example, Apple patented the curvature of the edges of their iPhone (I <mod edit> you not) but patent law has guidelines that talk about such simple things as that not qualifying.

Patents are SUPPOSED to be solely to protect a company or individual's investment for a period of time such that they can potentially recoup their costs and even make a profit.

Patents by definition should NOT even be awarded to stuff that exists already since there's no further investment yet companies are running around saying "oh yeah, we did this 15 years ago..."

alextheblue

Distinguished
I don't play either but it seems like this:

"Lawl they're trying to make their own Battle Royale game and it's some cartoony F2P garbage. How cute."

"Oh <mod edit> they're really stomping us, let's sue them."

Fortnite wasn't originally a battle royale game though. It was originally designed to be a coop zombie-defense game, which is what the paid version of the game is. They only started developing the free-to-play battle royale mode last summer after PUBG became hugely popular.

Crystalizer

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Fortnite battle royale was straight copy from pubg. Everyone who played pubg and tried fortnite knows that. Bad reputation for unreal. I'm so clad I did not jump to the unreal train. Game engine provider competing against it's customer. Shame

Loadedaxe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2016
PUBG is fun for the first few times, its buggy at times and clearly not optimized.

Fortnite, is what PUBG should have been, so I guess if you cant beat them, sue them.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
"The company is accused of copying PUBG's user interface and game items." copied from BBC.

This is a nonsense lawsuit and this piece of information is important, as the battelground idea is prior art from Battle Royale and after, Hunger Games.

As for what they copied, items? 99% of these items exist in real life. As for the UI, I bet all of the UI elements have existed in the past and are not new, nor is the combination used a difficult step.

I don't see how items and UI are copied tbh, Fortnite relies on potions for armour, not actual armour. Aside from that, all the weapons exist and are copies of weapon companies IP, if anything.

Bluehole studios is a joke, and PUBG is a 1 billion dollar beta, never to be released and to become abandonware after they never fix the game bugs.

I'd say the only unique thing in PUBG is their motorbike handling...

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
"The company is accused of copying PUBG's user interface and game items."

All UI elements have previously existed and the game items are just guns and ammo, all of which are some gun manufacturers IP, not PUBGs.

Dayz all over again, given their patent trolling and inability to release a full game.

The only thing unique in PUBG is how bad their motorcycles mechanics are.

Status
Not open for further replies.