LCD Monitor cause BSOD error involving nvidia driver...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_cb7

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
This might be a stupid question but can a monitor cause your system to BSOD. Because I think my LCD is causing my nvidia drivers to BSOD my windows 7 system.

I purchased a new motherboard, memory, and video card recently. So far the system was working fine for about a week when recently it started giving BSODing me with the nvlddmkm.sys error for my nvidia drivers. I tried to solve the problem but ended up just reformatting and doing a new installation of Windows 7 64 and even then the same BSOd would come and go. I thought it might be improper nvidia driver installation over the ones installed during setup or a defective video card. It was only after a few tries that I began to see a pattern and it involved my use of monitors. The last time I installed windows I was using an old CRT VGA monitor I have lying around that I use in my workshop when fixing things because I don't have the space at my desk where my LCD is. The system worked fine with the old CRT and then put everything back together checked it one last time then moved it back to my desk and hooked up my LCD via DVI...the BSOD came back. I have the details of the BSOD below and the minidump attached to this thread . If there is anybody who can offer me any information on how a perfectly working monitor one minute can just stop working and start causing two completely different systems to crash and BSOD the graphics driver just by plugging in the monitor using the DVI cable, and it cant' be a driver issue both XP and win7 have always detected and installed this monitor perfectly in the past. Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from ViewSonic!

The Tests
Card1: EVGA GeForce GTX 260 PCIe

LCD DVI: BSOD
LCD VGA: Works!
CRT VGA: Works!

Card2: XFX GeForce 8800GT PCIe

LCD DVI: BSOD
LCD VGA: Works!
CRT VGA: Works!

is this possible?

Details of the BSOD...
Crash Time:
Bug Check String:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code:0x1000007e
Parameter1:ffffffff`c0000094
Parameter2:fffff880`05c23ee9
Parameter3:fffff880`053ae958
Parameter4:fffff880`053ae1c0
Caused by Drive:nvlddmkm.sys
Cause by Address:nvlddmkm.sys+500ded

mindump:http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/crashes-debugging/131548d1294896975-lcd-monitor-cause-bsod-nvidia-driver-minidump.zip

{MAIN SYSTEM} ASUS M4A89GTD/PRO BIOS.1703 - AMD PHENOM II 965BE C3 - CORSAIR VENGEANCE 4GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GeForce 260 Core216 896MB PCIe 2.0 - 2x WD Raptor 74G in RAID0 - PCP&C Silencer 750watt PSU - Intel PRO1000 PCIe 1x NIC - Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI - ANTEC 900 Case // {SECONDARY SYSTEM} ASUS M3N78 PRO - AMD ATHLON X2 5600 - OCZ REAPER DDR2 800 4x1GB - XFX GeForce 8800GT 512mb PCIe

Solution
hey now isn't it a funny old world. i am at this moment also troubleshooting the exact same problem.

I built a new core i7 system for a customer on a decent x58 board and just a basic g210 graphics card coz they don't need anything graphical.

When I installed the system, i used a really old LCD screen, the system had a "nvidia display driver recovered from serious error" once during the initial setup. I didn't think much of this and i forgot after I installed the lastest 260.00 drivers because I didn't get the error again.

When I delivered to the customer they also had an old LCD screen and straight away i got the driver errors again.

So i changed video card, memory and psu. but it did the same thing. So I took it back to my shop...

mr_cb7

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

I know, I have been working on computers for years and I have never come across a problem like this. I did download the latest Nvidia driver 260.99 , but I will try a later version and see if that helps.

Thanks

Well, there is a first for everything I guess.

Maybe the video card is having trouble reading the embedded information in the screen(it may in fact be a screen issue, the screen does tell the computer its name and resolution, ect).

What if you go into safe mode and change it to a generic monitor(Generic non pnp)? Maybe it will not try to get the specs for it. Just make sure if you do this you do not go past the specs for that screen since windows will allow it.

mr_cb7

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I will try that but I have a feeling the EDID codes are just screwed on this monitor, this particular model has known issues regarding the EDID codes getting messed up when using DVI.

mr_cb7

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

I don't think the nvidia drivers have that option, i have read on a few forums you have to go and edit some code in order to turn off the feature.

slapjimmy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
hey now isn't it a funny old world. i am at this moment also troubleshooting the exact same problem.

I built a new core i7 system for a customer on a decent x58 board and just a basic g210 graphics card coz they don't need anything graphical.

When I installed the system, i used a really old LCD screen, the system had a "nvidia display driver recovered from serious error" once during the initial setup. I didn't think much of this and i forgot after I installed the lastest 260.00 drivers because I didn't get the error again.

When I delivered to the customer they also had an old LCD screen and straight away i got the driver errors again.

So i changed video card, memory and psu. but it did the same thing. So I took it back to my shop and ran it on a new monitor (forgetting about the old LCD I originally used). I couldn't get it to have the error again!

So I took it back to the customer and guess what, it started having the nvidia error again. So I swapped the motherboard, cd rom & data cables. I thought I was on the home stretch an dit was the mobo, but egads it did it again!

So I talk all my customers gear back to the lab, had a long hard think and thought maybe it's these old LCD screens. So currently I have the system hooked up to a new LCD and have a remote session running on it and am checking the event logs every few hours to see if it's having the issue. So far no problem. I'll run it over night then stress test it.

But yeah maybe we're the only 2 ppl in the world with this issue lol

Solution

mr_cb7

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I have been going over forum after forum on the net for the past month and I can't find a single reason why it would not work on any system. Are the video cards you were using Nvidia or ATI because I have only tested on Nvidia because those are the only cards I have at my disposal. Please let me know if you find anything else.

slapjimmy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
I've done some more research and more testing. I'm now getting the same problem on new LCD screens so I can rule that out.

However

1. I can see a lot of people are complaining about 260.99 and 266.58 drivers causing this issue. I'm going to go back to 258.96 drivers

2. There is a Microsoft ghaphics performance update (KB2454826) that is affecting some machines. I may strip this

3. Some people have had sucess adding a TDRDelay dword in the registry and setting the delay to 6 http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/wddm_timeout.mspx
That is a workaround though and in most cases a bandaid or a non fix.

payre

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Well it's not just Windows 7, I get BSOD when I use an older analog LCD plugged into the serial port on a core i7 machine running XPx32, have never had an issue with the the digital duel screens connected to a docking port. I also get numerous 30 odd second freezes when using the older screen (as if it's querying the screen?).

daNameLezZ

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
i have the same problem with the BSoD and after reading your article i figured out that it actually is the resolution i use for my LCD monitor....i get the BSod on 1240x768 but now that i use the default 1280x1240....there have been no BSod which before happens atleast once after every startup...now how weird is that...BSod cause by resolutions...can that be possible?? or am i getting it wrong....

Cloudcpu

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I too have been working with computers starting with 8088 and 80X86 machines over twenty years ago and I have never had a monitor problem before however after replacing everything on my computer I have the exact same issue. I recently purchased an ASUS 24 inch monitor to replace an older LG LCD monitor and I started getting BSOD the monitor was the only new component however I figured it could not be the issue so I started to swap out components to no avail. I decided to plug this monitor into a very basic machine I use for work this machine never had a BSOD and wham as soon as I put in the new monitor I get the BSOD randomly again. I am glad I found this site as I was starting to think I was going crazy simply assuming that a monitor cannot cause the problem. I am running with a DVI cable on a newish 550 TI NVidia card. I will try an HDMI mini cable and see if that fixes this (it shouldn't matter but who knows) I will report back if that resolves things as these BSOD's are starting to get annoying.

sambomartin

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Well funny you should say this!

I have a Quadro FX3700 and it's clean, reasonably cool for a gfx and would appear ok. Suddenly under Vista 64 i keep getting BSOD on the nvidia driver. Typically when doing something like scrolling or maximizing a window.

This was odd, as nothing had changed from a hardware point of view for a couple of years, and the drivers hadn't been changed.

I spend a couples of months living with the problem, using older drivers, following countless suggestions online. all eventually ending up in same situ.

I then thought maybe is something os related or possibly down to new drivers needing more power for gfx from psu.

To try and find the problem i started by buying and ssd to install windows 7 on. All went well until i started to use things like remote access tools, photoshop/lightroom. Whilst theorectically light on gfx they were causing a driver recovery problem rather than BSOD (although i still had a couple of blue screens).

I thought i'd eliminated psu by running system on bare minimum and seeing if i could recreate the problem and I could.

I was about to then try and set about testing the gfx card in another machine when the driver timed out again, this time when it recovered by screen was blue!!! not BSOD but like it's lost its Red and Green. At this point it's probably worth knowing the screen if a DELL 3008WFP. I rebooted and the screen stayed blue through the bios.

This kind of suggested to me that maybe a fault on the monitor could somehow be causing the problems I was having. Anyway, half an hour later the screen has completely died, just a blue light, but nobody's home. Inside warranty fortunately and I'm proving things are working ok using the other old monitor.

It's not categorical proof, but for me it's enough to believe somehow the monitor was giving my nvidia card grief. I'll let you know if I'm wrong when I get it fixed/replaced.

Hope this helps someone.
Sam

Razz1410

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
I've also got BSOD's caused by nividia drivers on an older (2004) LCD screen. Ya really old screen. My only progress up to this point has been testing different more common causes of BSOD's and finally downloading software and figuring out that an ominous nvidia program was corrupted and crashing my pc. Well I forgot that my nvidia was my graphics card so my responce was well I'll just see what uninstalling that does. Well BSOD's seemed to have stopped so i assumed the problem was solved and I'd learn about what im missing and what i can get instead of nvidia later. This was of course me assuming nvidia was some media viewer program or equally as neccesary. BSOD's returned and kept crashing my pc. I was at a loss and tired of launching in safe mode. I wanted my computer back! The bluescreens were now worse then when they first surfaced, appearing right after startup. Uninstalling Nvidia drivers didnt change anything, checking all the other more common BSOD's, and checking just about all the other software and programs for errors or anything that could be the problem I concluded that some part of my normal boot was corrupted. I determined I'd need to completely revise my pc so i backed up my files and used recovery to completly redo my computer and hopefully all its original systems including boot or whatever else may be causing the BSOD's. I discovered what Nvidia was when I had to redownload the software. This already had me worried that Nvidia was the problem after all. This time the bluescreens really took their time before bam I'm right where I was before I revised my pc. So I've deduced its definitly the Nvidia. Now I'm in the same small boat with you all. So if any of you find a solution for this Nvidia problem let me know and I'll be sure to as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.