Question LCD screens and dead pixels

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hi All,

I wanna know how rare is it to get a dead pixel free lcd monitor.

Over the last 12 years, I've owned 9 LCD screens(not counting mobiles) including laptops. I opened the below thread after I had 3 consecutive duds, I took the adivce, went and got the 3rd one as well replaced, much to the dismay of the store where I bought it from.

9 months passed, this piece has also developed a bloody dead pxiel, I mean wth, of the 9 LCDs I've had, 6 with dead pixels, At this point I am convinced a lot of people do not realize that their lcds acutally have dead pixels, I alway keep my screens clean and the tiniest speck of dust always irritate me and I remove them(doesn't help that most webpages are white either, that I guess is a problem, after seeing my friend who constantly complained to me that his screen has lots of white dots looking from the side and everything is fine from the front, I went, looked and found it had lots of black dots when looking from the front that he never realized, it turned out quite a few were dust particles and some were dead pixels, having seen that, I guess people just don't realize mostly that one tiniest dot or a few for that matter.

This turned out to be more of a rant or venting out session, I find this tech unacceptable really. Is there I anything I can do with Acer to get a replacement, I mean is it really worth even trying at this point? It doesn't matter when playing games obviously, but whenever something white is on the screen or whe I have to read(infact this is how I first noticed it) something on the screen where the pixel is, it is pretty unmissable.

Regards,

Aravind

Last edited:
This turned out to be more of a rant or venting out session, I find this tech unacceptable really.
To be fair, we are talking about a device with over 6 million liquid crystal shutters, so the fact that one or more might develop issues probably shouldn't be all that surprising.

It's also possible that being a more value-oriented screen, that they might get somewhat lower-grade panels than go into the higher-end models, which may have lower defect rates. Some higher-end screens actually have warranties covering dead-pixels for some time after purchase.

There are some methods that can potentially be used to potentially get a stuck pixel working again, though I'm not sure what sort of success rate they might have. Some involve physically applying pressure to that part of the screen, while others use a software utility to rapidly flash the pixel on and off for some time.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
To be fair, we are talking about a device with over 6 million liquid crystal shutters, so the fact that one or more might develop issues probably shouldn't be all that surprising.

It's also possible that being a more value-oriented screen, that they might get somewhat lower-grade panels than go into the higher-end models, which may have lower defect rates. Some higher-end screens actually have warranties covering dead-pixels for some time after purchase.

There are some methods that can potentially be used to potentially get a stuck pixel working again, though I'm not sure what sort of success rate they might have. Some involve physically applying pressure to that part of the screen, while others use a software utility to rapidly flash the pixel on and off for some time.

I guess, yeah I've tried all the methods on all my screens, nothing has ever worked, though, there is almost always no way a dead pixel can be repaired. The methods I hear have worked better for stuck pixels, that again idd not work for my tv where there is a green stuck pixel.

Regardless, a $ 200 1080p screen is hardly low end, no matter the price premium there are complaints everywhere even about $ 600, $ 700 screens with dead pixels. Read somewhere about someone lookinf for a very premium monitor and found 6 pieces accross different stores, with the best one having 1 dead pixel. AOC is the one company I beleive offers dead pixel free warranty, however, thats not available in india, the model(24G2) compared to the Acer I have is also similarly priced, but not available here.

Edit : My old Acer monitor a tn panel, much lower priced is still going strong nearly 7 years, also the AOC monitor I mentioned uses the same Panda panel as mine and offers a no dead pixel guarantee.

Last edited: