Leaders Talk Cloud Gaming Before 1st-Ever Conference

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]I'm not done with my onlive testing so far, but here's how I see myself using it. Any game I'm interested in purchasing, I will first get a glimpse of the gameplay aspect over at onlive. If I like it, I'll go buy a phsycial copy or from Steam, and enjoy all the gameplay and much enhanced graphics.[/citation]
And if that is all it does for you everyone is happy. Once you're connection gets better - either by having a data center closer to you, or your local infrastructure improving - it'll be more useful.

chaos133

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Even if I wanted to play games over the cloud I can't, I've tried using OnLive but it won't let me access the program because it says my Ping is too high. I'm guessing this will be a problem for a lot of people for a long time.

I've tried googling onlive data center locations, but everything i could find is pretty old.

I'm on the central coast of california. When i use speedtest, my closest server is LA (closest, about 300 miles) and then San Jose, Palo Alto, and San Francisco.

I consistently rate at or exceed 30mbp/s down and 4 mbp/s up, and ping 18-25ms but unfortunately, there must be some other extenuating circumstances between me and the nearest onlive data center. I'm guessing its in the bay area (hopefully not Modesto). Done some more testing, about 5 games now, and fear 3 for example, completely unplayable.

G

A lot of research went into the Cloud Gaming USA conference, covering every sector of the industry.

There are issues around cloud gaming, but on every level steps are being taken to overcome them. Look at Europe and OnLive's partnership with BT and Belgacom or Playcast's partnershipt with Portugal Telecom. Getting the telcos involved will help combat latency and ensure bandwidth caps don't affect cloud gaming.

Companies like cisco, bigfoot, solid state networks and intel are also working to make game delivery smoother, better quality and faster.

Crucially, the video games industry now believes in the technology. Right now PC games are ported to cloud gaming services - of course there are issues with speed etc. As soon as games have teams optimising them for cloud from the ground up just like they would for PS3 vs xBox vs Mac, a lot of issues are combatted.

Cloud gaming is just getting started and it will become mainstream much quicker than many people think. The full report also gives a clearer picture of the industry.

G

Cloud gaming is so stupid. I have to have a constant internet connection just to play games? Where's offline Cloud gaming? and is offline cloud gaming an oxymoron?

Added into the whole mix is every freakin ISP moving to a bandwidth cap. Why in the world would I want to play a single player game in a Cloud?

And it's not like they are going to make the games cheaper. I see all digital downloads costing the same as the retail package.

Cloud gaming is not for gamers, it's for corps to make more money and bypass DRM.

Status
Not open for further replies.