League Of Legends Performance, Benchmarked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin Mason

Honorable
May 20, 2013
[citation][nom]Grandmastersexsay[/nom]This is the most popular game in the world right now? I don't get it. Shame on all of you for supporting the pay to win model. You are going to ruin gaming, and your bank accounts.[/citation]
Obviously you have never played this game, because it is not play to win

LOL that effect has been greatly reduced in the latest patch. Still not perfect, but it helps.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]kettu[/nom]Page 4 title says 'low details' but the graph says 'highest detail'. [/citation]

Yes, this is not a mistake.

Our lowest detail tests were done at highest details except for the shadow setting, which is 'High'.

For our high-detail tests, shadows were set to 'very high'. This doesn't sound like much but makes a notable difference in frame rates.

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
[citation][nom]JJ1217[/nom]Yeah.. no one cares. Everyone knows you can basically run it on any rig.[/citation]

Conclusion of your comment.
You never heard of ATI Rage.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
The only issue is the CPU for this game. Running it on an Asus 1201n is nearly viable. It's actually playable but a bit of a headache at no better than 15fps. Using a 2.4Ghz Athlon 64 and over clocking gave substantial performance gains. Where swapping the GPU in the same system did nothing at stock clocks. If you are into playing league on a budget, look for more gpu juice first.

zeek the geek

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
"3) When a player is killed in LoL, they lose only experience. In Dota 2, the killed player loses gold and experience."

There's a mistake here, you do not lose experience if you die, you only lose out on gaining it if you're playing on 3v3 or summoner's rift, because you're no longer near minions for the experience. In Dominion, you gain experience even while dead.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]gonchuki[/nom]Heroes of Newerth is the true spiritual successor to the original DotA. I don't get all the millions of people that play a watered down version of the genre in LoL. It's true that it's easier, to the point that I have always been an average DotA/HoN player (0.9 - 1.0 kdr) but I totally steamroll people on LoL unless they are doing some cheesy strategy.[/citation]

Keep telling yourself that. Cheesy strategy? You just got outplayed by a PUG.

mpdahaxing

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
I was hoping the test would be a custom game with 10 TH staffs, be they writers or interns. I really think it important to gauge how team-fights affect the FPS since, as most of my fellow summoners will attest, s h i t really gets heavy when all 10 champs are spamming all their abilities at the same time.

MooseMuffin

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
IMO, you guys aimed too high on the hardware scale for this article. Of course any desktop graphics card is going to play it. The nice thing about LoL is its requirements are low enough that you can get your non-pc gamer friends to play it since it will run on nearly anything. Many of my LoL playing friends are playing on 3-4 year old laptops. They definitely don't have intel's newest HD 4000 chip, or the 3000 for that matter. I would have been more interested to see more setups like that.

anthonyla65

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
I brought my netbook to my cousins "LAN party" and it managed to run LoL good enough for a laugh. Bare in mind I was playing on a 12" screen with AMDC-70 1GHz Dual Core and HD7290 and 20FPS on LoL lowest settings. Maybe next time I will bring my PC instead ._.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I tested on a Core 2 Duo, and a 210 and found it unplayable on low settings.

Tested with a 7770 and worked perfectly.

I would still build a low end gaming PC for this game, with 5v5 fights you really don't want any framerate drops, because as the author says the MOBA players can be very unforgiving.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Just because you 'can' run it on any processor doesn't mean you should.

Faster/Better processor = Faster Summoning times.

Please for the love of all that is holy... If you have slow load times please do the world a favor and upgrade your processor so that the rest of us aren't waiting for a decade while you load.

Hahahah agreed. oddly enough an SSD makes slim to no difference. But a 500MHz OC on a 3570K can make a MASSIVE difference. Waiting 10 mins for load is not my idea of a game.

vadjenjeociju

Honorable
May 21, 2013
There are some things that i've noticed as an experienced LoL player. The game tends to get more resource heavy the longer the match lasts. In my experience, early game FPS are more stable than late game FPS when there are large teamfights and more map sight, more minions, etc. Also, i think some of the low end GPU's could have FPS problems with some skill effects (Graves' smoke comes to mind). Lastly, while i agree that LoL is mostly played on Summoner's rift, there are 3 other maps that feature improved graphics which can prove to be a bit more hungry. All in all, LoL isn't a demanding title (hardware wise) but IMO this bench could use some more info about these specific situations.

The most surprising aspect of the test was how the Intel i5-3210M using its HD 4000 out performed the AMD A10-4600M. In the Neverwinter test, it had a huge CPU bottleneck, so it made more sense, but this has no such bottleneck.

BanditZA

Honorable
May 21, 2013
I don't understand, I've got a laptop with i7 740QM, and a 5870 and struggle to get stable ~30FPS at 1440x900 medium-high

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Probably beacuse you got a laptop. But you should run it better.

logainofhades

Titan
[citation][nom]tadej petric[/nom]Probably beacuse you got a laptop. But you should run it better.[/citation]

You might be overheating. I would take a can of air can clean out your fan and use a laptop cooler if not already. Otherwise, check drivers and make sure the game is switching to the 5870 and not trying to use the Intel IGP if it is equipped with one. My Asus laptop sometimes does that when playing WoW. It will use the Intel IGP when it should switch to the NV gpu. I manually went into settings to make sure it always switches when WoW starts.

Alex Abadajos

Honorable
May 21, 2013
I mean no disrespect to the author of this article but it is from the total perspective of someone who has no experience playing MOBA genre games. If your going to review a playstyle of the game vs. another you need to know why and for what reasons. This article is written from the emic perspective of a LoL player who didn't even attempt to bridge the gap as to why denying was done. Which shows me as a reader and experience player of both LoL, HoN, and Dota 2 that you really have no idea what your talking about and most likely halfassed this portion of the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.