News Leak claims RTX 5090 has 600W TGP, RTX 5080 hits 400W — up to 21,760 cores, 32GB VRAM, 512-bit bus

Admin

Administrator
Staff member

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
I think it's the first option. 2x GB203 glued together, but clocked lower.
How else would a dual 400W turn into 600W?

Speculation
Did they choose 600W because they didn't want to add another 16pin 12VHPWR connector?
or does the CoWoS-L interconnect bottleneck and not benefit from more power into the chip?
or they are leaving headroom for an 800W 5090Ti?

I expect the 5090 to run cool, so long as your case can keep up with the total heat it dumps. That is a huge die and would be easy to cool with a vapor chamber.

The RTX 4090 has 16384 cores on a cut down AD102 (18432 maximum) and is 602mm^2 on TSMC N5. N4P (assuming they're using the same process for enterprise and client) isn't enough smaller to make up for the core count increase within the same die size. So to me that would mean the 5090 is either harvested GB100 or indeed a dual die solution. With the word about yield issues on early Blackwell (sounded like largely interconnect related) it's possible nvidia was able to pivot and get more usage of the die over for client.

**assuming this leak is accurate

TeamRed2024

Proper
Aug 12, 2024
24GB VRAM should be enough for anyone... well... for me anyway. :ROFLMAO: I have seen anything even come close to maxxing it out so the fact the 5090 will have 32 isn't a dealmaker either way.

Reactions: valthuer

valthuer

Upstanding
Oct 26, 2023
24GB VRAM should be enough for anyone... well... for me anyway. :ROFLMAO: I have seen anything even come close to maxxing it out so the fact the 5090 will have 32 isn't a dealmaker either way.
If you love your card, don’t try Star Wars: Outlaws. At 4K Outlaw RT settings, it can sometimes consume over 21 GBs of VRAM, even with DLSS at performance.

Sweet Jesus! 🤣

If I were a betting man I would say not even close to the gap the 4090 has over everything else.

That’s exactly what I’m afraid of: that it won’t be worth the hefty price.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeamRed2024
Sep 4, 2024
The RTX 4090 has 16384 cores on a cut down AD102 (18432 maximum) and is 602mm^2 on TSMC N5. N4P (assuming they're using the same process for enterprise and client) isn't enough smaller to make up for the core count increase within the same die size. So to me that would mean the 5090 is either harvested GB100 or indeed a dual die solution. With the word about yield issues on early Blackwell (sounded like largely interconnect related) it's possible nvidia was able to pivot and get more usage of the die over for client.

**assuming this leak is accurate
On the existing low NA lithography that N5 and N4 are made on the die size limit is over 800mm^2. Combine that with N4P's 11% higher density and Nvidia can easily do a single die, no need for dual dies at all. It's the next gen high-NA EUV that has a die size limit of just over 400mm^2 that will cause problems and why after Blackwell, Nvidia will have to go chiplet

Conor Stewart

Prominent
Oct 31, 2022
I think it's the first option. 2x GB203 glued together, but clocked lower.
How else would a dual 400W turn into 600W?

Speculation
Did they choose 600W because they didn't want to add another 16pin 12VHPWR connector?
or does the CoWoS-L interconnect bottleneck and not benefit from more power into the chip?
or they are leaving headroom for an 800W 5090Ti?

I expect the 5090 to run cool, so long as your case can keep up with the total heat it dumps. That is a huge die and would be easy to cool with a vapor chamber.
Generally power and performance do not scale linearly, once you pass a threshold adding more power doesn't do much for performance, just look at the Ryzen 9000 series reviews, specifically stock vs PBO enabled, around double the power for maybe 10 % more performance.

It could be a case of with the 5080 they are pushing it as far as possible in terms of power because they have the headroom, given they have 675 W available (600 W from power connector plus 75 W from PCIe slot) so pushing to 400 W isn't too hard but it may not actually gain much performance versus if they capped it at say 300 W. Then with the 5090 they may just not be pushing it so hard and cap the whole thing at 600 W but are still able to get most of the total theoretical performance out of the chip.

For applications where you want high performance but low power you generally want to go for more cores but lower clocks and lower power limits to run those cores more efficiently since running the cores close to their maximum performance isn't very efficient.

On the existing low NA lithography that N5 and N4 are made on the die size limit is over 800mm^2. Combine that with N4P's 11% higher density and Nvidia can easily do a single die, no need for dual dies at all.
I don't think you caught the point being made: if it's not die harvested and it's a single die that means they'd be making a client GPU around the same size as their flagship enterprise model. This makes zero financial sense at all given the disproportionate impact on yield and GPUs per wafer.