News Leaked RDNA 4 features suggest AMD drive to catch up in Ray Tracing — doubled RT intersect engine could come to PS5 Pro

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
yet rasterized performance still exceeds Nvidia's cutting-edge RTX 4090
7900 XTX beats 4090 in raster? Not as far as I can tell.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-and-xt-review-shooting-for-the-top/4

I don't know what kind of raytracing improvement RDNA4 would have if this leak is true. "2x" sounds possible when you read "Double Ray Tracing Intersect Engine". But it's chasing a moving target since the 5090 and 5080 will be out around the same time.

Anyone know if Metal Messiah got yeeted?

Last edited:

Blacksad999

Reputable
Jun 28, 2020
7900 XTX beats 4090 in raster? Not as far as I can tell.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-and-xt-review-shooting-for-the-top/4

I don't know what kind of raytracing improvement RDNA4 would have if this leak is true. "2x" sounds possible when you read "Double Ray Tracing Intersect Engine". But it's chasing a moving target since the 5090 and 5080 will be out around the same time.

Right. The 7900xtx is nowhere near a 4090 in rasterization, and is comparable to a 4080/4080 Super.
Kind of a big flub from a tech news website.

Nov 3, 2023
To be fair, I directly linked the benchmarks- but yeah, my bad. Pushing the edit through the appropriate channels as we speak.

These human mistakes should at least help dissuade the Metal Messiah (RIP in whatever, I don't really care) narrative that I was auto-generating these, though.

Nov 3, 2023

Also, more directly on-topic than quick error fix (my bad once more)— yeah, it's really hard to quantify what performance gains to expect from this, not that I said or implied 2X anywhere in this piece. But since ray tracing is primarily built around detecting how rays intersect with each other and geometry in a scene, having two intersect engines is most likely a very good thing for RDNA 4.

Nicholas Steel

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2015
I don't think AMD has a card that competes with the 4090, the 7900XTX might beat the 4080 Super in Rasterization. All that needed to change regarding the article was clarifying you're comparing similar tier cards.

Of course, there's still the issue of Nvidia smacking it about in terms of Image Upscale quality (DLSS) and Ray Tracing giving the 4080 Super a rather large edge over the 7900XTX's slight rasterization advantage.

Nov 3, 2023
I don't think AMD has a card that competes with the 4090, the 7900XTX might beat the 4080 Super in Rasterization. All that needed to change regarding the article was clarifying you're comparing similar tier cards.

This is what I meant, yes. The newsroom can be a little chaotic on the weekends. Once an editor switches that digit over, all should be right in the universe. Even moreso if AMD actually starts providing competitive RT performance.

Reactions: artk2219

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
Also, more directly on-topic than quick error fix (my bad once more)— yeah, it's really hard to quantify what performance gains to expect from this, not that I said or implied 2X anywhere in this piece. But since ray tracing is primarily built around detecting how rays intersect with each other and geometry in a scene, having two intersect engines is most likely a very good thing for RDNA 4.
It's certainly promising. I was pretty sure that Navi 48 would beat the 7900 XTX in raytracing even if not in raster, and any such improvements makes that more likely.

We did hear a broad 2-4x estimate for a PS5 Pro raytracing improvement, although with increased CU count and possibly not using pure RDNA4, it could be impossible to glean much from that.

I'm not sure how they're going to do it without drastically increasing the shader count or adopting a more nVidia approach and implementing at least some dedicated ray tracing hardware. My guess would be the latter, as the unified design is superior when ray tracing isn't used (shaders can be used for rasterization), and the dedicated shaders can also be used in other tasks, much like nVidia's.

Nov 3, 2023
I'm not sure how they're going to do it without drastically increasing the shader count or adopting a more nVidia approach and implementing at least some dedicated ray tracing hardware. My guess would be the latter, as the unified design is superior when ray tracing isn't used (shaders can be used for rasterization), and the dedicated shaders can also be used in other tasks, much like nVidia's.

Oh, AMD has had dedicated RT hardware accelerators for quite a while now. Unless you mean something else, they scale pretty directly to AMD GPU cores in the same way that Nvidia's RT cores scale directly to their respective GPU cores.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I am perfectly happy with my 7900XTX and will skip the next generation of either manufacturer.
People have to stop gleaming over numbers and data, and instead enjoy their cards.

It's similar to cars, where so many chase horsepower and zero to 60 (or 100) that they forget to enjoy driving their car.
RDNA4 is supposed to be a good generation for people who like paying less for cards, since AMD is not aiming for the top. But as a 7900 XTX owner you are good to go.

It is interesting that Navi 48 could be better at something than the 7900 XTX, despite having worse raster performance and less VRAM (unless they go hog wild with a 32 GB model).

Oh, AMD has had dedicated RT hardware accelerators for quite a while now. Unless you mean something else, they scale pretty directly to AMD GPU cores in the same way that Nvidia's RT cores scale directly to their respective GPU cores.

It's not exactly the same. AMD's Dual Compute Units can do it all, which is great for rasterization (no processors sitting idle) but not so much for ray tracing, as opposed to nVidia's more dedicated hardware, which is not as great for rasterization but is for specialized tasks like ray tracing.

arch1.jpg

arch6.jpg

arch1.jpg

arch2.jpg
arch3.jpg

lol what is the story here?

Of course, there's still the issue of Nvidia smacking it about in terms of Image Upscale quality (DLSS) and Ray Tracing giving the 4080 Super a rather large edge over the 7900XTX's slight rasterization advantage.
I'm on a 7900XTX and I never use FSR or FG because I have enough horse power to play native. How many 4080 and 4090 users do the same or actually using DLSS on these cards? RT for sure but I think upscaling and FG have less impact on high tier cards.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I think we can conclude when we see the end results. I recalled AMD mentioned that the Ray Tracing will be faster for RDNA3 as compared to 2. But the results are quite sobering in real world performance. I think we should always take all these marketing claims with a handful of salt.

Having said that, I am not a fan of RT gaming. It looks great, but always at the expense of significant performance regression. My opinion is that a game is meant to be enjoyed with fluid performance, good game play + storyline, and visual is of lower priority. If anything, good HDR implementation beats having accurate lighting visually.

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
At this point, I've heard this enough times that I'm beginning to suspect these AI accusations themselves are auto-generated. They might as well be for the lack of originality. I am Begging you to find some actual original material if you're insistent on being a bottom-barrel hater.
Sorry I thought the cry-laughing icon would make it clear it was said in jest and I sorry if it has offended you.

comparing console graphics to pc graphics is bad imo.

everyone knows consoles have a much more clear & as few steps as possible for graphics comapred to the pc which has many more steps.

any performance on console wont necessarily translate to the desktop part in future due to the difference between how console and pc handle graphics.

systemBuilder_49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I have to laugh at these people who buy NVidia for the ray tracing, turn it on once to look at Cyberpunk 2077 at night, then leave it turned off for the rest of the life of their card. Ray tracing is a feature like upscaling. It cuts the frame rate and thus the overall video quality so much that its still a FAIL on most video cards because it reduces overall picture quality for the sake of some shadows and reflections in puddles! Show me a shooter where you shoot at puddles and i'll show you a game that needs ray tracing! NONE!

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I have to laugh at these people who buy NVidia for the ray tracing, turn it on once to look at Cyberpunk 2077 at night, then leave it turned off for the rest of the life of their card. Ray tracing is a feature like upscaling. It cuts the frame rate and thus the overall video quality so much that its still a FAIL on most video cards because it reduces overall picture quality for the sake of some shadows and reflections in puddles! Show me a shooter where you shoot at puddles and i'll show you a game that needs ray tracing! NONE!
If AMD and Nvidia keep on increasing raytracing performance, eventually it will not cut the frame rate, or newer games will be 100% raytraced.